Snow round #2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bvpbill

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2007
Maryland
Us guys here in the Mid Atlantic are getting hammered with snow.
Can't even think - while I have - of getting to my boat because we had 25"
over the weekend and now are expecting another
"10 to 20" according to the NWS. They were right on last weekend
and that means a total of 45 to 50 inches of snow on the ground. And on my boat!
This is ridiculous! I don't have any space to put the new snow.
Wish I had open water to boat on..My creeks are frozen, I'm frozen

Looks like you guys up north may get what you wish for.
If not, come to Maryland - I could use the transportation and the help
digging out my wood.
Bill

I've shoveled and snow-blowed about 10 hours worth the last two days. I can't even move my arms. We're going over to dig out my daughter's school today, and then we're getting ANOTHER 10-20 tomorrow. I'm going to change my handle to "Moving to Mexico".

you guys need to share that with your friends to the north who actually enjoy the snow and want it! again NH is going to get shafted, will be lucky to get 2" out of this next storm. :(

Can't stop my grinning...sorry.

bvpbill said:
Us guys here in the Mid Atlantic are getting hammered with snow.
Can't even think - while I have - of getting to my boat because we had 25"
over the weekend and now are expecting another
"10 to 20" according to the NWS. They were right on last weekend
and that means a total of 45 to 50 inches of snow on the ground. And on my boat!
This is ridiculous! I don't have any space to put the new snow.
Wish I had open water to boat on..My creeks are frozen, I'm frozen

Looks like you guys up north may get what you wish for.
If not, come to Maryland - I could use the transportation and the help
digging out my wood.
Bill

You guys need to move a few hours west--into the mountains of WV. This is every winter for us. 153" so far this year--our average is 2-250" on the year. Stay warm fellas and keep those shoulders rested and blowers filled with gas.

PA will officially have more snow than Maine this year if we get 12 inches tonight.

This is supposedly the worst winter PA has seen since the Washington crossing.

My avatar is a penguin and I'm deeply regretting it.

Please send some up here!
We are getting shafted this year!
If it's going to be cold we might as well have some fun in it, but can't - because we have no snow!

I think in some parts of the midatlantic the folks may have to get on the roof and shovel snow, like they do in Canada. I am not sure the roofs here are built to withstand this much snow sitting on top of it, especially further south in MD or VA

tiber said:
My avatar is a penguin and I'm deeply regretting it.

No regrets for Tux!!! ;)

Becky and I made the decision to work at home today instead of commuting 40 miles to work this morning. In the end, I think I'm glad I made the call, because I don't think driving 40 miles home later would have been much fun. Tomorrow, we may be in the same boat again.

-SF

You put the new snow on top of the old snow.

Be careful raking snow off the roof that you don't bury yourself. :)

We might get a foot this time.
Hoping it changes to rain and washes it all away like it usually does here on the south coast of Ma., but I'm not counting on it.

Sure wish we could get some of it. We have very little snow here on the ground. alot of the fields are bare. Groomed snow mobile trail runs past my driveway and everybody is just about down to running on gravel. Never seen it this way in this part of Ontario in the 21 years I have been living here. You folks in the mid-atlantic better get those roofs cleaned off. If it turns warm and rains on it you will probably have a few cave-ins.

sullystull said:
This is every winter for us. 153" so far this year--our average is 2-250" on the year. Stay warm fellas and keep those shoulders rested and blowers filled with gas.

One of the two reasons I don't live in West By God. The second is shoes. :lol:

Of course its all what your use to. We do not count in inches just feet for you southerners. Not particularly big this year but should make 40' [480"] by end of winter.

One note of caution to those not use to big snow. If your snow does not come off because of pitch it could wait and all come off at a later date when you or your kids are under it. Lots of people have been killed by late roof slides. It would be good if you have kids and a big snow load on house to restrict their going in the unsafe areas.

Hey guys

LOL. I live in Eastern Canada. Normally, where I live we receive 150 inches per winter. However, this winter has been terrible. We have onyl received 20 inches so far. I find it quite depressing. If it's gonna be cold at least let it snow.

I wish you could send some our way!!!

On the other hand, someone mentioned shoveling the roof of a house. That's a good idea. I normally shovel when I have 3 feet. It weighs quite a bit especially if it gets mild and absorbs water/rain.

On another note, you won't get any pity from me on the snow matter. On Easter weekend in 2007, I went out of town to visit my family. Where I live was slammed with a storm: 37 inches in 3 days. Here's my beef with mother nature: IT WAS THE 7TH-8TH OF APRIL! I nearly cried upon returning to not seeing my house. It put summer back by 4 weeks! I love snow but not in April! However, it's nothing an Ariens snowblower can't handle. My pics are too big to upload. Needless to say, it was quite impressive!

Andrew

BrotherBart said:
sullystull said:
This is every winter for us. 153" so far this year--our average is 2-250" on the year. Stay warm fellas and keep those shoulders rested and blowers filled with gas.

One of the two reasons I don't live in West By God. The second is shoes. :lol:

yeah, running out to the woodpile barefoot in all this snow is gettin' old.

Thanks for all the replies.
Got about 4" on the drive now and more to come.
It took a long time to clear the drive last weekend, and now again. Called work off tomorrow
as no one will be out and about.
My problem is I don't have any place to put the snow,
Even the larger places in Annapolis are having problems.
If you folks up north want some snow, send trucks to get it.
Hey we are boaters here. I want some unfrozen water to float and fish on.
And no, I'm not going ice fishing.
Bill

bvpbill said:
It took a long time to clear the drive last weekend, and now again. Called work off tomorrow
Bill

They can do what the city does after a storm -
Load up dump trucks and, in your case, dump it in the Chesapeake - unless you have the East and Hudson close by ;-)

The snow doesn't bother me. Snow doesn't make me go through more wood. As long as the temps stay in the low 30s during the day and low 20s/upper teens at night I'm not blowing through wood.

The week or two around the holidays where we had upper teens/low 20s as the high temps was when the wood supply shrinks at a high rate.

PJF1313 said:
bvpbill said:
Bill

They can do what the city does after a storm -
Load up dump trucks and, in your case, dump it in the Chesapeake - unless you have the East and Hudson close by ;-)

In some cases they do dump it into the Chesapeake, however some folks have objected to that because of the
salt and other chemicals which may also be included.

No comment on that, however rain does much greater damage to the Bay.
Bill

Anyway, life will go on. Warm with my inserts here however
still can't wait 'til boating season.
Bill

You can keep all of that snow down that way.

I'm nice and warm and my snowblower is having a nice nap.

SmokeyTheBear said:
You can keep all of that snow down that way.

I'm nice and warm and my snowblower is having a nice nap.

Don't listen to Smokey . . . I'm kind of missing the snow . . . in fact I think I may have to trailer my sled to Maryland to do some riding. ;) :)

Out here in Southern BC we've had one of the mildest Januarys in a long time, maybe ever. Haven't had any snow in the yard since December and most nights the temps have been above freezing and daytime temps even higher. It's been very easy on the woodpile and the mild weather has allowed me to get outside and do a lot of work on our house that I didn't expect to get around to until March.
If I really want snow though I can always drive up the mountain, it starts about a 1000 ft up, and the ski resorts are in full swing. Gota like it.

What the heck is a snow blower anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.