Snow tires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Be prepared to buy all four. Most shops won't mount just 2 on a vehicle. If you have TPS they usually won't mount them without the new rims having TPS sensors as well. So your stuck swapping tires or getting rims with sensors installed.

Only thing my Honda guys had to advise on, with TPMS, is that if you're going to run without the sensors, it's better to do it in the summer than the winter. That's at a dealer.

OK. I cheaped out on my snows and rims, and did not get the TPMS. I swap them on and off myself. The dash light blinks a little while when we drive around, and then goes out. What is the problem exactly?

What kind of car?

The TPMS light just stays on all winter on our Pilot that doesn't have sensors on the winter wheels. Different models/manufacturers likely have slightly different warning/indicator setups.

OK, on a re-read - I guess your maybe not asking what your problem is. More like what's the big deal?

OK. I cheaped out on my snows and rims, and did not get the TPMS. I swap them on and off myself. The dash light blinks a little while when we drive around, and then goes out. What is the problem exactly?
I think the problem is that quite a lot of folks don't bother doing a walk around on there vehicles EVER. I will say that some of the newer lo-pro tires can get pretty flat before you recognize it. They don't hold much volume to begin with so the TPS is kinda handy. That said, we lived with out them a lot of years before firestones and explorers came along. The spare tires on most vehicles don't have them installed. I have heard that running without them will screw up the calibration in some systems and you have to get it reset when you swap back. No idea if this is true or not.

That's what a small piece of strategically placed electrical tape is for.
LOL! I had an old Olds in high school that I did that with the check engine light. After a gazillion miles I didn't care anymore. My nephews are still driving it today with the tape still there.

My Honda guys also said that not having the sensors in would also affect traction control. Somehow. Which is why better to go without them in the summer than winter.

I'm skeptical...but will research.

Thanks.

A little research says that Traction control works fine without TPMS (indeed, I have seen it in action more than once).

The story goes that in Hondas, if you try turn the traction control off, it doesn't unless it detects a working TPMS. This could be a hassle if you got stuck and the traction control was preventing you from spinning the wheels to get out.

Personally, I have never turned traction control off to get unstuck, and like that it prevent me spinning and burning the wheels.

And I don't have a Honda. ;hm

That's not the case for my 13 Hyundai Accent. I do turn it off to power up a snow covered hill to my house. Even though the wheels are spinning in the snow, it's better than what the traction control does, which is back way off on the throttle.

Reactions: fbelec
on my wifes civic which seems to eat tpms for breakfast if one sensor is not working then you cant disable the traction control. In our cases, we have a steep drive that requires full throttle with a head start on some days to get up. needless to say, we keep the sensors in good condition.

Now replying to this old topic, she has blizzaks on the civic and i just got the same for my tacoma. They are incredible, and quiet which is why i went over studs. Time will tell how long they last. On the civic, 3 winters

i've got traction control on my grand marquis absolutely useless. the car has a posi rearend all the traction control/ idle is slow or stop if going up a incline. also senseless with a posi rearend so i do way better shutting it off. if stuck you spin 5 mph and it will get out without burning a set of tires. any faster and i make my own ice under the tires. what is wrong with a pressure gauge?????????