Snowblower Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using an Ariens 91020 from the mid 70's and it still works fine. This summer the housing is going to get blasted and repainted and I'm going to install one of the rubber wiper kits as well but so far in all but really wet snow it does fine. I'm hoping the rubber wiper kit solves the distance problem with wet snow. I'm betting if this was a 8HP unit and not a 5HP unit it would do a bit better in slushy snow.

Buying a new unit I'd go for around 8HP and hopefully a bit better distance.

At least the old tank is easy to work on.

Significantly improved the thing's ability to move snow...what a difference tightenting that belt made. Now the augers just stay running...no seizing up, no squaling...nice.

Now I just have to get the motor tuned properly and I'm good. Rebuilt the carb last year and I just can't seem to get the carb adjusted properly. I can get it to run great, but I need to keep it on full choke when I put a load on it. If I close the choke and there is no load it dies at WOT, but oddly it purrs like a kitten at minimal throttle. I'm sure it just a few turns of the various screws away from running like new, but I'm over my head with these adjustments.

mayhem said:
Significantly improved the thing's ability to move snow...what a difference tightenting that belt made. Now the augers just stay running...no seizing up, no squaling...nice.

Now I just have to get the motor tuned properly and I'm good. Rebuilt the carb last year and I just can't seem to get the carb adjusted properly. I can get it to run great, but I need to keep it on full choke when I put a load on it. If I close the choke and there is no load it dies at WOT, but oddly it purrs like a kitten at minimal throttle. I'm sure it just a few turns of the various screws away from running like new, but I'm over my head with these adjustments.

I wonder if your carb is loose or has a bad gasket as it sounds like you are sucking in air somewhere so it is running too lean? I am no motor expert that's for sure but you having to choke the motor sounds like it is lean and choking it richens the mix..

Ray

with a 150' driveway definately get a two stage. You would not have a happy wife with a single stage. Ive never heard anyone say anything bad about a honda, but they are greatly overpriced IMO. To each his own budget i suppose. As far as snowblowing, you cant get much worse than my driveway. i do about 250', half of it is at 15° incline. I wanted a track but couldnt pay $2400 for a honda. Went with the ariens track and havent regretted it. If i didnt need a track, the toro two stage models are your best bang for the buck. I did a lot of research on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.