So here's another random question I just thought of

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lukas060606 said:
Hey all,

Maybe the pics will spur some more replies on the cords per acre estimates.

One more time, with details; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Sloane

Eric Sloane, in A Reverence for Wood; 2 cords per acre per year. Of course this is an average, not a promise. He lived in southern New England. I have found his writing to be as factual, if not more so, than any other writers.

This subject has come up here before, a search of the site will reveal many more "estimates".

Here is Ohio we figure you need 8 acres to provide a winter's worth of firewood. From your pictures and what you said, you should be in good shape. I think it all depends on the woodlot with how much it will yield. I an currently cutting in a 9.5 acre woodlot and couldn't get more than 3-4 cord a year(if I am lucky but I do have restrictions on some of what I can cut) If you have an extension office, you could call them and see if they will draw up a management plan for your lot. That could help you sustain the area for years to come. Good luck and have fun

Lukas060606 said:
So I'm in the midst of planning my heating future and I'm wondering how many cords of wood can come out of my property (plus a small bonus supply I'll discuss at the end) and still keep the wooded area wooded. I have six acres of property in Southern CT and all but half an acre is wooded. I'm not up to speed on identifying the species, but the easy ones to identify are either there or not there. The stuff that isn't there is easy. There is almost no pine, cedar, or birch. Most all of it is oak and maple. I have read about sawtimber and poletimber, and I guess my land is mostly made up of sawtimber. So my question is how much wood can I reasonably take from a 5.5 acre lot each year while keeping it a wooded lot? The bonus I mentioned earlier is there is a 20-25 acre preserve sharing my property line. I recently got some wood from the generous folks there and they are letting me cut up and take any fallen trees off that tract of land. I have no idea on how to figure how much wood I can expect to get off that property if I'm only taking previously fallen trees. Obviously I won't clear that land of forest any time soon. I have just started plotting it out, and most of the fallen stuff is mush, but there are quite a few usable ones (with the white fungus I mentioned in an earlier post). I'm thinking that bonus won't add up to the amount I can get off my land while still keeping my land forested. Anyone out there with more knowledge than me? I'll admit it won't be hard to rise above that bar.

Thanks.

Figure one cord per year per acre. Some places do a little better, some a little worse. To maximize firewood production replant locust.

savageactor7 said:
Dead junk punky wood seasons incredibly fast 10-30 days go to go.

Seriously? That may save me for the tail end of this season. I'll look forward to this happening!!

Are there trails and will they allow you to use a four wheeler or something like that to move wood?

Yes. There are trails (although not maintained, they are still there and in fairly good shape. The guy that told me about the cranberry bog also told me the trails were once a stage coach route. I'm not sure how much of what he told me is fact and local folklore. Anyways, I can bring my ATV in with my trailer attached as long as I stay on the trails. That's not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.