1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

So how much have you burned this season so far?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by letsblaze, Oct 15, 2012.

1. JoeP

JoeP Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Started burning in Sept some cold nites, Oct,Nov, Dec 1 Ton not 1 drop fuel oil yet.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. khenault

khenault New Member

Loc:
    Southern, NH
    Dec 1 I was right at a ton. Burned another 11 bags since then.
  3. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    Oh....thought you were heating like 4500 sq ft.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

39 bags since 10/10/12 Averages out to .7 bags/day.
  5. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Bag #51 into the hopper this morning, deep clean tomorrow, exhaust pipe, blowers, supposed to be sunny in the 40's
  6. nikeseer

nikeseer Member

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    Evening.. Ok.. here is a few pictures and the last time it was cleaned out was Thursday night. IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0159.JPG IMG_0164.JPG
    This picture above. The light colored ash shows how thick it is. The ash pan above is how much we took out since Thursday.. I got a 1/5 of that and not caked on ash in my firepot. I also have had 2 nuisance shutdowns today where the stove stops feeding which I believe is because there isn't enough fuel being dropped which is weird because it worked fine all last night and into today before I shut it down for awhile.. It was really mild today. The picture of the door and all the ash/soot on it. believe there may be an air leak there with the corner where it was welded.. My dad is going to tighten the door locks to see if it helps. He has used 9 bags in less than a week. Not good for this time of the year with having a few mild days. Did the dollar bill test and really tight on top and sides but on the bottom in the center it was less. He'll work on that. Any idea about the ash buildup?... Anyone?
  7. hockeypuck

hockeypuck Burning Hunk

Loc:
    south central NH
    So far 17 bags

Attached Files:

8. fbirdquik6

fbirdquik6 New Member

Just got my Cumberland hooked up in the new house!
    Dmped my 5th bag into the hopper last night before I left for work
  9. opus74

opus74 Member

Loc:
    Coello, IL
    I'm on my 3rd bag. Only been below freezing 5 nites so far.
  10. nikeseer

nikeseer Member

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    Hi DexterDay... Got any insight for me? Friend of mine told me the stove is not getting ENOUGH air and that's why the buildup of crust. Getting it with made in maine pellets from TC. But the ash is a little finer with the maine pellets. But still crusting. Is there a way to adjust the air intake on the classic bay insert to give it more? He has lowered the feed as low as he can because he is afraid of a hopper fire. He has gotten some high flames even with the feed low and on low or medium.
  11. gfreek

gfreek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful Attica/Varysburg,New York
    So far 35 bags. Just cleaned stove & vent pipe. Using up the PA pellets I have.. 50 here today and next few days then cold again, 30's
  12. earl764

earl764 Member

Loc:
    CT
    About 55 bags of new england so far. Had a few bags from last year leftover. About 6 bags left before I finish the first ton of the 3 I bought this Fall.
  13. Dgopetactical

Dgopetactical Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    York County, Pa
    Just put a ton in today, started 10/15... So far I'm doing 1-1.5 bags a day.
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Definitely an air leak somewhere. That ash is way to dark in color. Even when my door gasket was bad, I never had a mess like that?? That's crazy... !!!

Edit: pic added. This pic is after 30 bags and I have not cleaned anything yet. The ash pan isn't even visible. But the pot stays clean. The glass is filthy, ash is overflowing, and still Burns like Bag #1 :)

Your father has a significant air leak. By significant I mean HUGE. Ash should vary from a very light grey/white to grey. That very dark color is incomplete combustion.

2012-12-12_19-02-30_707.jpg
  15. imacman

imacman Guest

Bag 45 today
  16. letsblaze

letsblaze Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    40 minutes north of Grand Rapids
    about 50 thus far. I have to go for a run to get another 2 tons in the next 3 weeks. I will be gone for the Michigan Department of Corrections training academy for 2 months. Only will be home Friday/Saturday nights.
  17. Joel Craft

Joel Craft New Member

Loc:
    Nome, Alaska
    I started burning in Aug. and I just dumped number 40 in today. Just a guess since it is staying at the -15-20 below I will start eatting the pellets.
  18. nikeseer

nikeseer Member

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    He has tighted the door. We did the dollar bill test and tested all areas. Only area is where I think it was finished being welded in the top right corner of the latch side of the stove. I told him to check the bolts around the burnpot to make sure they are tight but to be careful because they tend to break from what I've read. Any other suggestions? How do I check the exhaust gasket? It's an insert and I was not there during installation.