So I peeled the bark off my wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bodhran

Burning Hunk
Feb 7, 2010
Newfoundland Canada
That fits in with being normal...right?

Attachments

• IMG_2813.JPG
    IMG_2813.JPG
    531.5 KB · Views: 262
Reactions: Lakeside and n3pro
I do it quite a bit myself, we both are probably nuts! But boy, that looks pretty though, no bark or bug mess and with probably dry quicker.......

Where do you guys find the time to peel bark ?
I process 8 cords a year fell the trees , buck it up ,split it and pile it
and that's quit enough work for me

Reactions: D8Chumley
If the bark seems loose I try to peel it off. You seem normal to me.

Yeah the woods in the yard behind my stacks are full of bark. If it is loose I toss it before I bring the splits in. Now doing it when stacking...

Mine stays! No time for that. If loose it goes. Otherwise it is more BTU's.

Where do you guys find the time to peel bark ?
I process 8 cords a year fell the trees , buck it up ,split it and pile it
and that's quit enough work for me
I'm retired and the bark peels off quite easily. I'm only doing it now so it will dry faster.

I cut off building lots in exchange for the firewood. I also sell firewood by the bag. Tops up my pension.

Claw hammer works real well. Totally normal I swear.

I have been cutting well seasoned rounds in half and then splitting them. Bark comes off pretty easily but I won't fight to remove it. Lots of the wood in my stack has bark attached

Reactions: Fred Wright
You just raised the bar on everyone else - that's normal

Do you peel it off while it's still in the round?

Wood will dry faster when debarked. Many of us lack the time and motivation however. :)

Reactions: bodhran
Wood will dry faster when debarked. Many of us lack the time and motivation however. :)
It comes of pretty easy and I'm only doing it to have some extra wood dry enough to sell over the winter.

Attachments

• IMG_2818.JPG
    IMG_2818.JPG
    550.5 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: Fred Wright
If I debark wood I am keeping it. Love nice barkless wood to bring in and burn.

If I debark wood I am keeping it. Love nice barkless wood to bring in and burn.
Well I may do that too. Worst part with the wood I'm debarking is the amount of sap blisters in the bark and underneath. Even when dry, the wood with bark on is still sticky in places.

So what do you guys do with all the bark when you remove it? Must be some awfully big piles, no?

So what do you guys do with all the bark when you remove it? Must be some awfully big piles, no?
I usually just bring it to the landfill.

Mulch around my trees along the road, helps keep the weeds down too.

Save it for kindling. Bark works well for fire starting when it's good and dry.

This spring we worked up a couple cords of red maple that had blown down during a windstorm the previous year. Cut it all into rounds to haul it out of the woods. It set for months before we could get to it.

By then the bark had come loose and was peeling off while splitting. Had a good-sized pile of bark laying off to the side. I broke it up and stashed it in plastic barrels in the garage.

If my bark wants to come at any time in the processing I oblige. It adds up to quite a bit. Most gets burned outside in the fire pit.

I've been filling holes in my lawn with it. It decomposes pretty well so it is like in-place composting.

I like to take the bark off if its loose to help it dry but won't waste much time with it. If I were on the 3 year plan I'd try to keep every last bit on there, otherwise that's a lot of wasted fuel. Are you actually skinning bolts or just peeling as you split?

Status
Not open for further replies.