So I went out to cut up a fallen willow branch...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
and got scared to death by a duck lurking in my woods!

I was visitng my parents earlier today, and forgot my phone there so no pictures!

But I saw her start to waddle away, then fly slowly... I thought she was wounded to be honest... why on earth would a duck be this far from a lake or anything?
So I watch her fly away (I love ducks), think for a while about why on earth she was hiding behind a tree, then go about my business.
As I'm walking towards the branch, I see a nest of 12+ eggs there!

I was so surprised, especially since I was just out hauling stuff around yesterday and didn't see anything there.
Not that I was looking for it or anything, but man... it's a cute little nest!

Is there anything I can do for her to help her out?
Or just let mother nature do it's thing?
There's random cats and woodchucks/skunks that wonder around, there's also foxes in the area but not so much near me.

Any advice? :p

Usually best to let Mother Nature take care of things but that is a great find.

Live and let live . . . ducks have been doing their thing for many, many years without needing our "help" . . . best thing we can do is often to just stay away and let them do what they need to do.

This is a good reminder though . . . taking down trees this time of year can sometimes be a bad thing as there is a chance you may take down a tree with a bird's nest and eggs or young birds in that nest . . . did this last year and ended up hurting a chickadee.

Hass said:
Is there anything I can do for her to help her out?

Well, I read somewhere that Aflac is hiring.

That's a great find though. I've found ducks spook pretty easily, which is probably a good thing. They are fun to watch.. best to leave it be for now, but perhaps you could observe the ducklings from a decent blind later in the spring. Do you know what kind of duck it was?

the wounded/ weak act was to draw you away from the nest, she's fine

Agree with all comments made. Leave the area alone & trust she'll come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.