So much for the tax refund!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjnamtiw

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I pulled the pin and just bought a small wood/coal burning cook stove from Sopka. http://newwoodstoves.net/index.php/product/royal-720 This will serve to keep my small basement room from freezing in really cold weather when I'm running my pellet stoves and there's not heated air being blown down there. Plus it will be my cooking source for emergencies and AHBL Day.

I know at first glance this should go over to the wood burner forum; however, the owner told me that he will shortly be introducing a new pellet stove from Europe that will require no electricity, which is one reason I got the little wood burner. A back up for the back ups. :) His cook stoves are made in Serbia, his home country, but I'm not sure where this new pellet stove will be made.

As he described it, the stove would be gravity fed. Many coal radiant heat stoves are fed this way if not stokers or hand fed. The Franco Belge I had was fed from a sealed hopper over the burning coal bed. As the coal burned down, fresh coal ran out of the hopper and kept the coal bed height constant. Since the hopper was sealed, no oxygen could get up there to ignite the coal. Worked great. I don't see any reason a pellet stove of similar construction wouldn't work. The big difference obviously would be that it would go from a blower style convection stove to a radiant heat type, which would require greater clearances probably.

ok, that stove is just the neatest thing I have seen, how much did it cost?

Tax refund! What's that? All I seem to do is pay. I might get a federal, But always seem to have to pay the state! :red:

<----- We spent 1/2 our tax refund on that.

Cool stove...

I spent our tax refund on a badass laptop, first time in five years I actually got to even see any of the refund $..

The wife always seemed to make it disappear.

http://www.clarrypelletstove.com/

gravity fed pellet stoves for tent applications are already out there , i do not know of a residential one though it may exist.

ive been toying in my mind of a "teg" powered pellet stove runing a closed loop recharge of a battery power source for a while now but been too danged busy to actively pursue the concept. hoping when things settle down some i can get a chance to play with it actively

bbfarm said:

Including shipping and lift gate service to my garage, $1050.

j-takeman said:
Tax refund! What's that? All I seem to do is pay. I might get a federal, But always seem to have to pay the state! :red:

''Tax Refund'' = What Michele couldn't spend on her vacations........ :)

John97 said:
Cool stove...

I spent our tax refund on a badass laptop, first time in five years I actually got to even see any of the refund $..

The wife always seemed to make it disappear.

That's why this stove is HERS!!!!!! At least, that's what I am telling her. :(

stoveguy2esw said:

gravity fed pellet stoves for tent applications are already out there , i do not know of a residential one though it may exist.

ive been toying in my mind of a "teg" powered pellet stove runing a closed loop recharge of a battery power source for a while now but been too danged busy to actively pursue the concept. hoping when things settle down some i can get a chance to play with it actively

The biggest hurdle for a small importer is to get UL approval and EPA. He said the EPA approval costs $30,000 so the manufacturer is paying that and having it tested as we speak.
He also has a new stove that fits right into the space where a normal range goes, which is REALLY interesting. If you look closely, you'll see that the sides have hollow, double walled sections with a lot of holes on the top. All of these items are now used in Europe, especially Eastern Europe. I visited my relatives in Slovakia and they were cooking on wood stoves out in the 'summer kitchen'.

stoveguy2esw said:

Wow, that Elk model chews up 3 bags a day! Better not have your tent far from your pickup!

tjnamtiw said:
bbfarm said:

That isn't a bad price.

Very nice...... Love the look on that Cook stove. Modern take on an old classic.

bbfarm said:
tjnamtiw said:
bbfarm said:

That isn't a bad price.

No, I'll post some pictures when it gets here Monday or Tuesday. Better blow the dust off of my log splitter! I'm definitely bringing back a few bags of anthracite coal on my trip to Pa in a few weeks!

Tax refund? He!! folks, the goal is to not give them anything that has to be refunded.

It is even better if they still have to pay you.

tjnamtiw said:
bbfarm said:

Very nice looking stove! Nice price too!! We will need some pic's for proof or it didn't happen. ;-)

j-takeman said:
Very nice looking stove! Nice price too!! We will need some pic's for proof or it didn't happen. ;-)

Oh yea, I know the drill, J. :)

$1050??? Thats a great price on a neat little stove! I would want to have one...just to have one.

Well, my little wood burning cook stove got here yesterday! It was very well packed, as you can see, and pretty as I had hoped. Now to get busy and hook it up.

Attachments

• tn_IMAG0262.jpg
    tn_IMAG0262.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 294
  • tn_IMAG0266.jpg
    tn_IMAG0266.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 287
Very beautiful! ! Congratulations. Looking forward to when you do get it installed.

j-takeman said:
Very nice TJ, We be waiting to see fire! ;-)

You and me both!!!! :)

You should have seen the 18 wheeler with the 48' trailer trying to get into my little 1 1/2 lane road to deliver it! One turn is probably 150 degree turn and another is a 90 degree with brick light posts on either side. Give him credit though. He made it.

I guess I will post this over on the fireplace forum too, but I WILL keep you updated. My son can't wait to cook on it. :)

SmokeyTheBear said:
Forget the fire .... where's the turkey dinner with all the fix-ens?

You got that right!!!

Part of the reason for the stove is that I've become a survivalist, at least a beginning one. This baby will heat and cook when the lights go out for good. 3 acres of oak behind me, plenty of ammo, and a swimming pool with 25,000 gallons of water, and racks of long term storage food. You BETTER know the password!!!! ha ha ha

tjnamtiw said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Forget the fire .... where's the turkey dinner with all the fix-ens?

You got that right!!!

Part of the reason for the stove is that I've become a survivalist, at least a beginning one. This baby will heat and cook when the lights go out for good. 3 acres of oak behind me, plenty of ammo, and a swimming pool with 25,000 gallons of water, and racks of long term storage food. You BETTER know the password!!!! ha ha ha

Got a couple hundred acres of woods behind me, but no wood stove yet. Ammo and weapons check, water by the cubic boat load check. I might want to do something about the long term storage food. I can go several months with what I have but that is always something to work on. Got a new pressure canner so I could restart an old family tradition. The worst part will be no cold brews until cold season hits.

Where are you planing on installing that puppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.