So much for the tax refund!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My house if built on a sloping hill so I have a fairly small finished room in the 'basement' that already has a masonry chimney terminating down there with a clay thimble in one wall that is brick and cement block with paneling over most of it except around the thimble. It runs parallel with my other flue that I use for one of my pellet stoves upstairs. It's internal to the house. I don't know why the previous owners put it in there but I don't think they ever used it but maybe a few times because the flue tiles look almost new with no smoke residue at all that I can see. It's about 30 feet long so it should draw like a mother. It's 6" square and I'll be feeding it from the stove with 6" black pipe. The floor is cement with linoleum, which I'll have to cut and replace under the stove with tile that I have left from another project. It's 27,000 btu's will keep it plenty warm but I'll have the door to upstairs open to vent some of the heat. I might actually have to move my long term food to a cooler area.

You're just going to have to learn how to enjoy warm beer the way the British do. :)

Got the Simpson DuraVent Stovepipe in so fitted it up to the adapter and barometric damper. That way I could get clearances right and lay out my 'hearth pad'. Turned out to be a simple 5 foot square giving myself a few extra inches everywhere including under the stove pipe ( a must).
Of course, then I just HAD to see how the chimney would draw! Built a really small fire just to see. I have the baro damper there but it's set really high until I get a manometer to see what the draw really is.

Attachments

• tn_IMGP1663.JPG
    tn_IMGP1663.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 136
  • tn_IMGP1665.JPG
    tn_IMGP1665.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 116
  • tn_IMGP1664.JPG
    tn_IMGP1664.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 125
Forget the pictures, food where's the food, us bears are getting ready to come out of hibernation and we are hungry.

Oh yeah, enjoy the food.

Forget the pictures, food where's the food, us bears are getting ready to come out of hibernation and we are hungry.

Oh yeah, enjoy the food.
Man, Smokey, you guys just don't stop! I can hear your stomach growling from here! I was saying over on the fireplace forum that the wife came down and actually said that it would make a great place to cook this summer since it stays so cool down there. Music to my ears. I have to get some cast iron pots and pans, though, if I want to do it right and a Dutch Oven. (those suckers are EXPENSIVE!). Heck I make pottery so I better get started with some ceramic cook pots. I have a nice heavy bean pot already. The downstairs room also has a working sink, so that helps too.

That stove is beautiful I love it, I wish I had room for one of those. I have looked at them at Lehmans.com, they have alot of neat cook stoves also. I would post there website but it looks like it is down for service. Now lets see some good home cooked meal pictures from that thing lol.

Man, Smokey, you guys just don't stop! I can hear your stomach growling from here! I was saying over on the fireplace forum that the wife came down and actually said that it would make a great place to cook this summer since it stays so cool down there. Music to my ears. I have to get some cast iron pots and pans, though, if I want to do it right and a Dutch Oven. (those suckers are EXPENSIVE!). Heck I make pottery so I better get started with some ceramic cook pots. I have a nice heavy bean pot already. The downstairs room also has a working sink, so that helps too.

Look old man there are very few things that us bears require to keep us happy and not out slashing up things with our long, very sharp pointy clawed, and powerful paws.

1: Food.
2: An occasional cold brew.
3: A warm cave.

Obviously items 2 and 3 are well in paw, that leaves 1 so get to it :) .

That stove is beautiful I love it, I wish I had room for one of those. I have looked at them at Lehmans.com, they have alot of neat cook stoves also. I would post there website but it looks like it is down for service. Now lets see some good home cooked meal pictures from that thing lol.
Yea, Lehman's has some great looking stoves and quite a price range. What I liked about Sopkainc was that they are the direct importers. No middle man and yet a family run operation. Heaven forbid, I sound like a salesman.

Look old man there are very few things that us bears require to keep us happy and not out slashing up things with our long, very sharp pointy clawed, and powerful paws.

1: Food.
2: An occasional cold brew.
3: A warm cave.

Obviously items 2 and 3 are well in paw, that leaves 1 so get to it :) .
ha ha ha. :) Got my cast iron cookware coming, got the stove moved out and laying out the tile today (ooops, baby sitting today). Also a trip is planned for near future that will delay things. Found a great site for dutch oven cooking > http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipes.htm
Beef brisket with a side of baking soda biscuits might be the first thing! How's that sound? Need driving directions? Bring that cider along. (Smokey's Strongbow)

I always make cherry cobbler in the dutch overn outside on the fire pit, give that a shot takes 5 minutes to throw it together and you wont regret it trust me.

I always make cherry cobbler in the dutch overn outside on the fire pit, give that a shot takes 5 minutes to throw it together and you wont regret it trust me.
That sounds GREAT! I have a LOT of blueberries left over from last year's harvest......................................

Status
Not open for further replies.