So what gear did you get for Christmas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Allagash350

Burning Hunk
Apr 9, 2016
Bowdoinham, Me
I know we had a similar thread last year. Just wondering what you got for Christmas that is wood related! I got a new pair of kinko 1927 work gloves which are my favorite for this time of year.
I also got a fiskars hookaroon. Been playing around with it a bit. Overall I like it but not as much as I was anticipating.
How did you make out?? 20181229_155551.jpg

Wife got me a cheap chain grinder. Turned a couple regular chains into planer chains with it. Pretty cool little sharpener.
IMG_6511.jpg

Reactions: pen
- Buffalo electric chain sharpener
- New file for the axe
- A second log tong
- Fiskars hookaroon (I agree with Allagash350, I'm not overly impressed...of course everything here is frozen)
- And my new Otter Magnum Pro sled with hitch and runners for hauling larger cuts out of the woods behind the snowmobile

I got a couple of new splitting wedges and a Fiskars IsoCore maul. Love them all :)

Boy I messed up didn’t even think to ask Santa for a new wood splitter.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
New fireplace gloves and a covered 4' wood rack that holds 1/4 cord. The wood rack is right outside the door I use to bring wood in and won't get used until we get a snow that makes getting back to the main stacks too difficult.

She told me I had to be nice, or I might get coal. That backfired on her twice.

First I told her I would just burn it in the stove.

And then my buddy at work hooked me up. He has electric heat and a coal stove.

She got a gallon bag of stove coal. ;lol

AF029E6B-F3E9-4457-B260-6917B4AC9906.jpeg The lady friend upgraded the bar on my 4200 from 16 to 24 inches. Can’t wait to find a worthy log.

Reactions: Jags and Lone_Gun
Ha, a Stihl coffee mug, new fireplace gloves and a little metal rack that holds a day's worth of wood. Not bad . . .

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Reactions: Jazzberry
Done about ten cleanings with my Soot Eater. Very happy with it.

I got one last year. Amazing tool. Everyone should have one. Even though I've used it 2 times now and only got about a 1/4 cup of soot total out of my Englander.

Last edited:
I got one last year. Amazing tool. Everyone should have one. Even though I used it 2 times now and only got about a 1/4 cup of soot total out of my Englander.
Better than spending your Saturday sitting around waiting for some guy to come and charge you $150 to get 1/4 cup of soot out.

Incidentally most sweeps around here will not remove baffles etc. and plenty of stories here of guys breaking and otherwise screwing stuff up. No thanks.

I got a couple synthetic wedges and a trailer dolly to move the small splitter around the yard.

AF0CD094-8EA1-4FCB-BB2F-7604B14688C1.jpeg
Not firewood related but I added this to the fleet. Taurus PT111 G2

Reactions: Lone_Gun
My wife found a good Black Friday deal on this dragon. I've looked at these in the past but the typical list price was out of my price range.
IMG_20190114_075427904.jpg