So..... who's snitching all the scrounges in my area?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Sheesh! Who ever it is at least you could let the ad hit Craig's List before you grab it!

Seriously - I haven't seen hardly any free wood ads on Craig's list since around September.

I'd hate to think I might have to buy wood for 2013/14.

All the listings in my area have gone dry. All that's listed now is wood for sale. Spring & summer is when all the free stuff hits here.

I'll scrounge any time of the year even during winter (read: snow on the ground). Last year one of my scrounges was after an ice storm. I had to bring the sledge hammer along to break the ice on the stack I was removing. It was interesting loading that bunch on the trailer - slippery as ever - even was hard to ratchet down without the rounds slipping and sliding all over the place.

Come over the pond Shari and I'll give you some already cut, split and I swear they are "seasoned" too! Not like the typical seasoned though... ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:
Come over the pond Shari and I'll give you some already cut, split and I swear they are "seasoned" too! Not like the typical seasoned though... ;-)

Thanks for the offer, BS. I think the 'pond' must be all open water what with the weather we've been having. Sheesh! In the 40's-50's this week. Shoulder season in February? It was one year ago we had the biggest snowfall in my recent memory. I miss the snow - there - I said it - I miss the snow! Born/bread/raised in Wisconsin means there is supposed to be snow in the winter. :)

You are right Shari. Hey, one year ago today I had a hip replaced. We had that big snow while I was in the hospital and it was the first time my wife had ever plowed snow. She had to because we have a long driveway. I might add that she did a great job too.

Well Shari, it ain't me. I have noticed that there has been a lack of listings of late also. I bet its Singed Eyebrows. That ought to get a rise out of him. One of my customers ( landscaper) said they have been doing landscape work all, Ahem, winter ( if you can call this winter) 15 tons of salt - still have 11, 3 plows - 2 are still clean. Still working on the 2 gallons of mix for the snow blower ( not problem same as saws). On the bright side haven't broke anything yet either. 2 of my trucks could use new skins, that ain't going to happen either.

Same here. The only thing I've seen since Summer on CL is scrap building materials.

blades said:
Well Shari, it ain't me....

Aha! Your post reminds me that I know where your shop is! Do you still have that pretty stack of splits stacked up there? I could just swing in there, fill up the trailer and be gone before you'd even know it. :) :) :) As I recall I'd just have to make a wide swing and sidle right up to the stack - I wouldn't even have to back up in order to pick up. :) :) :)

It was the same here. I got lucky and hit two good ones which should be enough to get me through 2016. The last guy still had at least two cords of oak I left even after I took one load to my buddies.

Right now lots of people are burning and want wood. In six weeks most of them will forget about firewood until December and scrounging will be a lot easier. Yeah, I am assuming Phil will see his shadow tomorrow.

i don't know if they're hoarding emails (spammers/phisers) or what, but i've responded to a few offers for hauling away downed trees -- the same day they were posted even -- and get no response. stuff that's supposedly in my backyard too.

toonces said:
i don't know if they're hoarding emails (spammers/phisers) or what, but i've responded to a few offers for hauling away downed trees -- the same day they were posted even -- and get no response. stuff that's supposedly in my backyard too.

What I have found in my area is if you don't respond in less then one hour you might as well forget about it. The more work involved the better your chances of scoring are.

Shari said:
I'll scrounge any time of the year even during winter (read: snow on the ground). Last year one of my scrounges was after an ice storm. I had to bring the sledge hammer along to break the ice on the stack I was removing. It was interesting loading that bunch on the trailer - slippery as ever - even was hard to ratchet down without the rounds slipping and sliding all over the place.

I bet it has something to do with the weather.
To warm to think about fire wood.
Golf courses in your area are still open :)

usually pretty dry in the winter. but with the storm here in ct this year its pretty stacked full here. i havent had to use craigslist at all since ive scrounged probably a good 6 or 7 cords from neighbors and couple other spots.

Yea - as with most of you/us in the mid-west, winter has been non-existant. I have a friend who owns a golf course that has a ton or dead ash standing he would like gone. Free to me and his brother but we cannot get out there with the equipment without solid frozen ground. Looking more and more like those ash will will be part of next winters wok unless Phil scurries back into his hole and mother nature does what she is suppose to this time of year.

Not to worry as it is just drying in the wind now and not going anywhere. Perfect scrounge when it does become available. Easy access, open fairways to land trees in and limited clean up as the grounds crew will handle the small stuff in the spring.

We've been lucky and scored a willow, a maple and currently DH is grabbing what I believe is elm. You do have to be quick-the maple we weren't the first, but once people found out they had to walk the pieces out from a back yard to the street, they didn't show. Meh, it's exercise, plus it's already bucked so...it's in the to be split pile now. It does seem like fewer scrounges now that summer/fall. It helps that we'll take whatever species, not just hardwoods. I can't wait to get our truck and trailer on the road though, so we can go a little further out and still have it worth while.

Hi Shari, Yep there is still a bunch of stacks out there. Smile real perty for the cameras. Oh and might want to bring something to appease Bell and Sky as they get a Mite testy about someone playing with their toys.

Here in northern nj, scrounging has been a full contact sport. Haven't seen much around in months, even after the freak October storm.

blades said:
Hi Shari, Yep there is still a bunch of stacks out there. Smile real perty for the cameras. Oh and might want to bring something to appease Bell and Sky as they get a Mite testy about someone playing with their toys.

Hope you realize I was teasing. :) If I get any more of the dreaded box elder do you still want it? I really don't like that stuff. I'll split rounds which are already cut but I just won't saw it - too dusty or something for me - sets off my allergies.

Blades -

PS Why don't you stop over sometime and bring your new four legged friends - would love to meet them! Dog lover here. :)

Craig's List has plenty in my area. Some people have even been listing the same wood for a few weeks. I live in a pretty wealthy suburban area. Not too may people burn seriously or do much hard work themselves around here. I have been taking advantage of that for years now. There is so much roadside wood around me that I can just grab and I have a couple connections too. My last Craig's List scrounge was a couple years and probably 13 cords ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.