So, you thought that YOUR wood might be too "wet?"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PDXpyro

Burning Hunk
Oct 10, 2013
NW Oregon
Merry Christmas Eve, all! Thought I'd post a thread about some of my wood stacks that experienced a little too much holiday excitement...

As some of you may be aware, this December has been ridiculously soggy here in the PNW. We set a new record for the wettest December ever recorded, with rainfall well over 2x the "normal" amount.

We happen to live on a river bank, and flooding is an occasional problem. In fact, the house itself flooded back in '96 -- before we were here. That was an exceptional year, and even downtown Portland was threatened back then.

It hasn't been that bad so far this year, but we have limited stacking space, and so I located three stacks on the low-lying areas of our 1/3 acre property, figuring that the odds were OK: maybe a 5-10% chance of those stacks getting flooded in any given year.

--Well, that optimistic bet went bad this year! I'll post a "before" and "after" photo of the same stack (I posted the same picture of the intact stack earlier this year). It's 100% black locust, largely in rounds with some splits. The cut wood is now 1.5 years old, and I planned to split the rounds early in spring and see how it checked out MC-wise by next October or so.

Here are those before and after pictures of the same stack. Between this one and two others not pictured, I now have about two cords of wood swimming. Very little of it actually washed away -- we bought his 'n' hers chest waders last week, and have been slowly salvaging the floating wood and tossing it onto higher ground. Unfortunately, the other two stacks not pictured were of completely bone-dry (~10%) Douglas fir, some of it even bordering on punkiness. I had planned to burn *all* of that dry doug fir this winter to get it out of the way, but Nature has now changed that plan. Not too worried about the locust; it should wind up about the same after splitting, re-stacking and further seasoning, right?

Geez, and I'd thought that getting this wood situated was a lot of work the first time....

Attachments

• BackStack.jpg
    BackStack.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 529
  • FloodStack.jpg
    FloodStack.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 520
Chest waders are also handy for surf fishing, just saying.

Bummer about the woodpile for sure.

I'll throw in one more photo, of the lovely Pyro-ette and me in the back yard. The stack pictured above is just to the left of what you see in this shot, and some of the drifting wood is visible behind us.

Attachments

• Outtake#7.jpg
    Outtake#7.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 346
Chest waders are also handy for surf fishing, just saying.

Yep, I hear you there! I grew up in Alaska but have lived in Oregon for almost 40 years, and was kind of spoiled for good fishing by childhood Alaskan memories. However, just this past summer I re-ignited a passion for fishing, and even managed to catch a few!

The chest waders will indeed come in handy, and surf fishing is high on my must-learn list.

Attachments

• FISH!!!.jpg
    FISH!!!.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 167
Sorry about the italics in that last post -- I messed up somehow.

A fun pic would have been on the ladder, with fishing poles reeling firewood splits. Sorry to hear about the flooding, seems like you guys are making lite of the situation, Merry Christmas.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Save time, just put that ladder in the kayak. :)

Reactions: Hasufel
Status
Not open for further replies.