Soap Stone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian Foley

Feb 1, 2020
Maine
Hello, I move my Mansfield form one house to another. The new home I put the stone on a raised hearth, 2X10 Frame, 5/8 plywood top, covered in 1/2" Dura Rock, Then 1/4 slate. The surround has slate Dura rock and metal framed walls this plenty of air circulation behind.
The old house had a concrete floor and it was far from wall so there was no concern about thing getting to hot. After firing up the stove I find the floor is extremely Hot, to hot to touch??? Is this a concern?? The stove corners are 8" from the slate (per the manufacturer) and the walls are hot but not as hot as the floor.

What are your thought? When is it to hot?

Thank you Brian

Soap Stone

Hello, I move my Mansfield form one house to another. The new home I put the stone on a raised hearth, 2X10 Frame, 5/8 plywood top, covered in 1/2" Dura Rock, Then 1/4 slate. The surround has slate Dura rock and metal framed walls this plenty of air circulation behind.
The old house had a concrete floor and it was far from wall so there was no concern about thing getting to hot. After firing up the stove I find the floor is extremely Hot, to hot to touch??? Is this a concern?? The stove corners are 8" from the slate (per the manufacturer) and the walls are hot but not as hot as the floor.

What are your thought? When is it to hot?

Thank you Brian

View attachment 256321
What are the hearth insulation requirements? Clearances?

My heritage had huge hearth insulation requirements.

It’s really time for stove manufacturers to design stoves that are safe with ember protection only.

I’ve built a few of these over the years as I’m in the tile business, cement board and tile have very little r value. 1/2 board and thin slate aren’t near enough. What I’ve done in the past is sandwich a couple layers of 5/8 fire code drywall between the ply and cement board. Unfortunately this doesn’t help you now...

I’ve built a few of these over the years as I’m in the tile business, cement board and tile have very little r value. 1/2 board and thin slate aren’t near enough. What I’ve done in the past is sandwich a couple layers of 5/8 fire code drywall between the ply and cement board. Unfortunately this doesn’t help you now...
Drywall is not noncombustible.

My heritage had huge hearth insulation requirements.

It’s really time for stove manufacturers to design stoves that are safe with ember protection only.
Our Heritage 8022 from 2014 only requires ember protection.

This is from woodstove.com
Soap Stone

The 8011 Mansfield requires R=.8 hearth insulation. If this was with Durock cement board then the hearth only has R=.26 protection. If it is with the lighter Durock NexGen then it has R=.39 protection. To do this right 2 sheets (1") of Durock NexGen would be needed.