Soapstone hearth pad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADK_XJ

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saratoga Springs, NY
My wife and I are planning an addition as our family seems to exponentially increase in size...we're probably a few years but I can dream, right? Central to the addition would be a large dining room that I could plunk a big freestander into.

Although I love Hearthstone stoves, the $$ are a little prohibitive for us — anyone ever done their own soapstone hearth or hearthpad? I'm thinking a corner layout sort of like this (but with soapstone) and wondering about a thicker block to absorb and redistribute heat. WOuld love to see somoene's pics if they've ever done anything like this:

IMG_0282.JPG

I would think that getting them to a temperature that would allow for any meaningful heat release would be counterintuitive to the purpose of the hearth. Seems to me that your trying to insulate against heat transfer, not store it.

I suppose if you made the hearth pad with enough rvalue so that it didn't transfer to the substrate it may work IDK? I would also think you'd be only heating the few blocks that are in front of the stove?

Interesting, I'm curious what others think

Not a bad idea depending on your stove & the required "R" values.

We have a 1-1/2" concrete hearth from the old Fisher days that was poured over metal & wood floor. Our new stove requires only spark/ember protection. However, & even so, that concrete gets nice and warm, but never hot in front & under the stove. That concrete does store some heat for awhile (the dogs love to lie on it, too). So..............get a stove that requires considerable "R" for insulation, & insulate below the slab & you will have a nice heat storage.

Although I love Hearthstone stoves, the $$ are a little prohibitive for us — anyone ever done their own soapstone hearth or hearthpad?

I considered it, but...speaking of $$ being a little prohibitive. Pricy stuff. I went with granite.

I poured my own countertops, cheap and easily could be adapted to hearth. This was the upside down pouring method.

Attachments

• DSC_1360.JPG
    DSC_1360.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 285
Reactions: bfitz3
Not a bad idea depending on your stove & the required "R" values.

We have a 1-1/2" concrete hearth from the old Fisher days that was poured over metal & wood floor. Our new stove requires only spark/ember protection. However, & even so, that concrete gets nice and warm, but never hot in front & under the stove. That concrete does store some heat for awhile (the dogs love to lie on it, too). So..............get a stove that requires considerable "R" for insulation, & insulate below the slab & you will have a nice heat storage.
Right, that's sort of what I'm thinking — not a masonry heater by any means but I love the look of soapstone and thought it could help hold some heat. If insulated underneath as you note.

But, maybe concrete is the way to go...cheap and apparently works somewhat the same.

I poured my own countertops, cheap and easily could be adapted to hearth. This was the upside down pouring method.
Wow, beautiful counters — kind of looks like soapstone, in fact. That's a good point. Could be an especially cheap option.

The soapstone would scratch like crazy. You can scratch most soapstone with your finger nail. It would look pretty bad in a short amount of time.

My memory can be pretty bad . . . but I seem to recall one member using soapstone tiles . . . or maybe it was a slab of stone . . . for a hearth and surround. Not sure if it had the desired effect or not of retaining heat longer than a conventional hearth of brick, tile, granite, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.