Softwood conifers -- I'm a fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedrusdeodara

Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2008
New Jersey
I have a big pile of pine/spruce/cedrus in my back yard that was cut down 4 years ago. I investigated the pile and found that the top 1/2 was relatively dry and not too rotted/punked.... so I fired up the Stihl and went to work. Cut, split, stacked indoors. Three weeks later, I have some super seasoned spruce/pine/and cedar that nearly explodes in the stove. I love it. I plan to cut/split anything else worth burning in the next week. I have hardwoods, but this stuff is just too good. Not great for an overnight burn.

B

Cedrusdeodara said:
I have a big pile of pine/spruce/cedrus in my back yard that was cut down 4 years ago. I investigated the pile and found that the top 1/2 was relatively dry and not too rotted/punked.... so I fired up the Stihl and went to work. Cut, split, stacked indoors. Three weeks later, I have some super seasoned spruce/pine/and cedar that nearly explodes in the stove. I love it. I plan to cut/split anything else worth burning in the next week. I have hardwoods, but this stuff is just too good. Not great for an overnight burn.

B

Heresy!!!

NP

I say:
Burn what you like.
Burn it all night.
. Burn what you gots
. Burn the big knots
. Burn what you can
. Burn like a man
. Burn, let it glow
. Burn in the snow
. but
. Burn what's real dry
. So your chimney don't fry!

Never burned softwood conifers indoors but it's good to hear they're working out for you. One thing I noticed though the newer stoves get you a lot of mileage out of softer woods and even junky punky wood that's dried out properly.

Depending on the year and the scrounge it brings, pine is most of what I burn.

Matt

bogydave said:
I say:
Burn what you like.
Burn it all night.
. Burn what you gots
. Burn the big knots
. Burn what you can
. Burn like a man
. Burn, let it glow
. Burn in the snow
. but
. Burn what's real dry
. So your chimney don't fry!

Nice! Now put this to an old Willie Nelson tune and you're on to something...

Friend of mine had several acres logged off about 4-5 years ago. Lots of pine tops. Been cutting there for the past 3 seasons. Rot's starting to set in on the logs on the ground. And the rounds look like pure garbage. But all split up, it's some fine kindling. Stuff with knots that won't split easily without chunking off just gets mixed in with the other marginal wood for fall and spring heat.

A lot of my pine cutting this fall was shortly after it'd rained. Within a couple days of having a date with an ax, it was all dry. Heck, last night I inspected some stuff that got rained on good 2 weeks ago. Moved it into the barn in a seldom used corner just to get it outta the driveway in anticipation of snow.

What's piled there ('twas SOAKED) is barely at all damp and will prolly find its way into the stove before we call it a season.

Here on the East Coast of Canada we have alot of spruce and some pine.I see alot of ppl on here say you shouldn't burn pine or other softwoods but I have burnt it and I would almost prefer to have a couple cords of it to burn along with my hardwood.Great stuff to get the stove up to temp. or shoulder season.I say burn away and enjoy every minute of it. :)

I have a tree company that drops pine at my house for free because no one wants it..

Cedrusdeodara said:

B
Welcome to the club. :)
Burn nothing but conifirs for one complete season and you earn the right to wear the jacket. :coolsmirk:

Pine and spruce both go into the gasser from srping through fall. 1/2 loads that I shut off, restart and top off daily for domestic hot water. I don't burn it in the heart of winter as I can only get about 4 hours per load but I don't turn pine down unless it's infested with termites. Pieces I find with carpenter ants go right in the fire. Do you suppose the ants hurt the btu output?

If you could compress them like sawdust, you might naggle a few btu..

God I hate the things, and I live in a cedar log home, so I get somewhat panicky when I see them, but rumour has it they are none too fond of cedar

I have tha jacket. When all you have is softwood conifers, that's what you burn. With a modern stove the softwood easily makes it through the night.

Even with an old black, box 'o heat, pine works fine. Chilly outside, 6"+ of freshies, and I'm 79+ inside. (temp., not my age) :)

Whats a "softwood conifer"? for me their are only two kinda trees. Still livin' and soon to be on fire. I dont pay attention to what family they come from, just what family they are keepin warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.