1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Softwood pellets in PA

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by gscreely, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gscreely

gscreely Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    I am in central PA and I have been wanting to try some soft wood pellets. Does any one know of any in PA? We have over a dozen mills in the State but all seem to be hardwood.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    Hi,

I've tried some "Stove Chow" brand, not sure if its soft wood but on the bag it says made from "White" wood if thats the same. Right now they are on sale at our local HD for $199.00 ton.

From the 4 bags that I tried they seemed to burn about 10-20* cooler on low setting, ash and clinkers wasn't bad though. when compared to the hard wood brands I tried.
  3. jackovalltrades

jackovalltrades New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
  4. gscreely

gscreely Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    What was the name of the place that sells them?
  5. jackovalltrades

jackovalltrades New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    Woody Pet Products
  6. Philip

Philip New Member

Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    I don't have an answer to your question, but I have burned what I believe to be pine pellets (a light yellow color) called PJ's brand by Carolina Shavings and am very dissapointed with them. When compared to Somerset pellets which are oak pellets, they do not put out nearly as much heat, have more fines and are dustier.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.