1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

softwood premium pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by heritage1992, Feb 20, 2013.

1. heritage1992

heritage1992 New Member

Loc:
    phoenixville pa
    does anyone know where to softwood pellets in chester county pa? or in the area ty...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    [​IMG]
  3. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    I don't know of any currently in the area. I have been told that Fehl's Agway in Temple, PA will be selling Energex softwoods this spring. I was told they will be about the same price point as Hamers.
  4. bas157

bas157 Member

Loc:
    Near Limerick, PA
    Any specific brands you are looking for? I think at the office I have a list of what some local shops have, but don't know off the top of my head which are soft or hard.
  5. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Energex(green bag) softwoods are actually a blend. Good pellet but slightly ashy. Hamers might have the edge if they are the same $$$.

Edit: If you can't find softies at local dealers. Check feed and grain stores. Horse bedding is usually softwood pellets. May have a bit more fines/dust. But burn close enough so you can get a feel for them.
  6. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    Hey "J", could it possibly be Lignetics that would be making softies? They carry them as well, I can't remember which company they said will be making them.
  7. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Liggies has a softwood. Orange lettering on a white bag. All softwood and they were good. Been a while since I burned them(don't make it out my way) But they used to be a nice pellet.
  8. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    Maybe I will give em a try. How would you compare them to Turmans, my normal pellet? Is it worth changing?
  9. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Turmans are one of the hardwood brands that run with the softwoods in both heat and ash. You probably won't see much of a difference. Try a couple of bags just for giggles and tell us what you think.
  10. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    Will do, but it won't be until next year, they are first getting them this spring.