Solar Charge Controller & Diverter ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaddyUser

Nov 28, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi all,

I'm hoping this is a really simple question for someone...

I've been trying to locate a charge controller and diverter as a single unit. I am (slowly) putting together a PV system, and currently have 500W of panels, a sunforce charge controller, and a few batteries. Everything is 12V.

What I'd like to do is to have a controller that once it detects a batt full condition to switch the divertor on. My plan is to hook a grid-tie inverter to it. That way, I'm using the power from the panels when the batts are full.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what you hope to gain with your idea. In any event, my answer may relate to how grid-tie works where I live. When my solar panels are producing, the electricity first flows to meet loads in our house with any excess to the grid, or if the solar panel electricity is insufficient to meet house loads then the system draws from the grid to supplement the solar panel electricity. It is automatic. And I get paid for electricity to the grid at the same rate that I buy electricity from the grid.

If grid-tie works the same where you live, then what you are asking for either isn't needed or doesn't really serve any purpose. If the only load is your batteries and they are fully charged, then all production will go to the grid. If they are not fully charged, then your panel production will go to charge the batteries, supplemented by grid power if the panel production is insufficient, or excess to the grid if panel production has excess. In either case your batteries will be kept fully charged and ready to provide backup power when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.