Solar Lighting that Makes a Difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Spotted this link on CNN. This seems to be a product, from a for-profit company, that can really make a difference. I just ordered one of the N200 bulbs to experience what this type of lighting would be like. What a great idea.

Forgot the link. Nokero

I ordered one. Interesting to see if it has to be out in direct sunlight to charge completely. Says something about ok for brief rainfall but it is not waterproof. We will see. Thanks for the link.

I like the solar phone charger. Good for camping or small boating.

I have a larger unit that I had in the greenhouse before it got wired. We still use it in power outages.

The Nokero N200 arrived yesterday, ordered on Aug 16. I placed it in direct sunlight on arrival and got about 6 hours of good charging on the battery. The specs show 2.5 hours on HI, but it now has been "on" for 3 hours on HI and still bright.

The light is bright, certainly enough light to read by, and sufficient light to light a room bright enough to do many tasks. An impressive little unit, good construction, would seem to handle rain well, two brightness levels. I think it also would make a good camping light, probably not the best for backpacking due to its size; also a good emergency light due to its recharge ability. Takes a standard replaceable 1.5 volt AA NiMH battery. Specs show 1000 mah battery, probably could replace with a higher capacity battery, now up to 3000 mah; charging would take longer.

As a light designed to eliminate or reduce the need to use expensive kerosene for lighting in 3rd world countries, this solar light could make a very positive impact on the population. I would like to know more as to how this is being distributed and the effectiveness in meeting local needs. A worthy NGO or non-profit involved in distribution could be a good target for donations.

Where standard electricity is available, the light fits a niche market in the areas I mentioned, probably other areas as well.

How much does it cost?

Price for a single sample was $20 + s/h of about $5. Substantial discount on quantity purchases. Funny thing is, if you have a real use for it, the $20 price is not out of line. A really good product. Check out the link on my first post.

I'm going to take back my comment that too big for backpacking. If a backpacker uses a candle lantern, this is barely larger, will turn out more light, usable as a flashlight, never needs to be resupplied with candles, no matches, can get wet and still works, light weight, many hours of light, etc.

Mine came yesterday. Works as advertised. Weights 91.5 grams. Even an ultralight backpacker would consider this. Seems well built. We will see how durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.