Solar Powered Fuel Production From CO2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I saw this a couple days ago from the university where the research is taking place:
https://news.uic.edu/breakthrough-solar-cell-captures-co2-and-sunlight-produces-burnable-fuel

It's not inherently solar powered. The real gist of the research is the production of fuel from CO2, which is something that's been done in the lab for decades, but has been very difficult to make economical. It sounds like they made a pretty decent step in the right direction with their nanoflakes of catalyst.

It can use any electricity source. Solar is one of the more intriguing options, including because of the obvious comparison to leaves, so it's the source they tested it with.

Ideally, the syngas produced would be further processed into a fuel more easily storable and transportable. This is also well-established science in laboratory environments, but so far also not generally economical. Again, however, steps are being made in the right direction.

I have a bunch of those devices in my yard...called trees.

You actually can get syngas from wood, and I know of applications where it is used to run modified internal combustion engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.