Solexx greenhouse as firewood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
Hi all- I am in need of a tool/bike shed, greenhouse, and firewood storage and have been considering various options for a long time. Having one building that can serve the purpose of all of these has its advantages. I am considering a Solexx greenhouse for multipurpose- it is corrugated plastic, and would allow light in. Inexpensive, and I could grow plants in it too. Here's a link with pictures: http://www.greenhouses-etc.net/ghse-fw/commercial_greenhouses.htm

The dome can be put down on gravel, pavers, etc, but one option is a pre-cut black polypropylene cloth that you put directly on level ground (to keep weeds out). I don't know how tough it is, but was thinking about whether stacked wood would tear the cloth. Or I could put palettes in there, on top of the cloth, but again, wonder if the palette would tear the cloth.

Basically, I am wondering if anyone else has used this type of greenhouse for firewood drying, and also if they have any comments about stacking wood on a plastic sheet flooring. BTW, the ground will likely not be completely level, and I anticipate the ground will be somewhat wet from just coming down the hill on the outside of the building.

Attachments

• Solexx greenhouse as firewood shed
    20-conservatory-greenhouse-287.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Solexx greenhouse as firewood shed
    iu.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 189
If you could keep air moving through it from one end to the other it would dry wood real quick. Those things get real hot during the day. Leave room between pallet rows and it should work great.

Airflow is a key ingredient in drying wood. Venting of some nature will be required for it to work.

If you cut holes in the bottom and then in the top sides, you should get natural air moving due to a temperature different. A natural draft, if you will.

You might want to look into how long the plastic holds up. Many green houses change their plastic on a yearly basis due to it not holding up. A lot of plastics have a limited life span.

As for storing firewood in one of those, ventilation is the key.

The double and triple wall panels are supposed to last ten to twenty years.
My greenhouse with double wall panels is ten years old.
Those good sized sollex greenhouses are not cheap!

I have the weed cloth on top of driveway base and it has stood up well. In the field you would roll it up at the end of the season but in the greenhouse it stays dry ....

The film on hoop houses comes in various grades and if you use film not thick enough for greenhouse use it won't last.

You don't want holes or open ends on greenhouses or hoop houses anywhere you have wind.
If you need wind going thru build a wood shed.

You could buy a piece of old carpet or a non-woven erosion control fabric (which are thick and offer some padding) to protect the floor. I'd try to get some ventilation, but I think the door at one end and a window at the other end should offer enough ventilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.