1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Solo effort on 2 tons at TSC today

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bobm33, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobm33

bobm33 Member

Loc:
    southeastern ct
    Well I've got three tons at the house. It was a solo effort because my friends truck has a transmission problem.

2 tons from TSC "Hardwood Heat" and one ton from Walmart "Pennington Natures Heat". Hope they are decent. I've got 1.5 tons in the garage and i dragged 1.5 tons down the cellar today From what I've been seeing in the forum, the Penningtons have not been too good. I also saw somewhere where a Pennington representative posted that they had some quality control issues that had been resolved so hopefully they are ok. Now we'll see if the stove (Quadrafire Castille) arrives next month as scheduled and my installer gets it in ok.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. snovelvet

snovelvet New Member

Loc:
    Voluntown CT
    Hi Bob

I purchased 1 ton of Pennington and they work OK a little harder to start than the TSC pellets but right now the Pennington are $50.00 less than the TCS. One thing they are longer than the TSC so some people have a problem with them. TSC does want to sell any till they get rid of the one's that were on the call list. Lot of places just trying to drive the price up. I called Agway in Plainfield Ct they wanted $379.00 for a ton of New England Pellets.

Mario
  3. firewarrior820

firewarrior820 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    auburn maine
    if your pennington's have a lot # and date on the lower part of the bag i think their the improved version
    i have those and they burn nice and hot ,low ash
  4. bungalobob

bungalobob Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central ct
    I hope that 379.00 a ton at least includes delivery. Man, that's outrageous!
  5. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine

I agree....if oil stays the same or goes lower.....pellets go on the back burner and I use other sources of heat until pellets come down. And I have talked to alot of people that feel the same way. So....the ones inflating the price, it will eventually come back to bite their butts.
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

I agree....you use what's the cheapest at the time. It means watching your actual costs per BTU, but that's not too hard to do....lots of fuel cost calculators on the Web.

Right now, my oil cost me $4.14/gal, and my average cost for my pellets was $275/ton.......based on the calculations, I'll be burning pellets for a while.
  7. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Not to stir the burn pot but still $220 a ton in n/e Ohio.

Eric
  8. imacman

imacman Guest

Gee, thanks for making all of us feel so much better.... :coolmad:
  9. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    $240/ton here....same as last year
  10. oldgoalie

oldgoalie Member

Loc:
    Boyne City, MI
    I hate to tell you but I paid $187 a ton last week...and that's up about $17 a ton from last year.
  11. BadDad320

BadDad320 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW New Jersey
    Helped my buddy get a ton today. $250.00 for Barefoot here in NW Jersey/ NE PA.
  12. dave1966

dave1966 Member

Loc:
    south jersey
    i payed 239 a ton at tsc the same as last year so i should be good for this season but if they start getting $300 i
    ll just burn gas or go back to wood,and i just had my new pellet stove installed last week

Attached Files:

• 6ton.JPG
      6ton.JPG
      File size:
      155.6 KB
      Views:
  13. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    [quote author="bobm33" date="1220938708"]Well I've got three tons at the house. It was a solo effort because my friends truck has a transmission problem.

Well, Bob, that's how it goes, if it ain't the tranny, his wife's got the mumps, kid's got a soccer game, etc. Nobody said the pellet thing was gonna be easy, there will be a buddy there from time to time, but you need to plan on doing it yourself, then if you get help, count your blessings. Based on my experiences this year, being new to the pellet thing, it's a hell of a lot easier than doing the wood thing all alone. Three tons in the cellar now, one more to go next Sat.
  14. Panhandler

Panhandler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WV Northern Panhandle
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.