Solution for Summit and T6 door latch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowtime

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2007
northern BC
Last winter the only issue I had on the T6 was gaskets. The glass gasket was improperly installed and the door gasket was short so the installer put a short thicker piece to fill the gap. To make up for the extra height in gasket he made my door unadjustable by the "tap the catch" method as he put large washers on the inside of the door latch.
I just got through cleaning and adjusting the stove for this winter. The door latch looked like the washers were on the wrong side to make the door tight. As we are snowed in most years I have lots of parts. I got a door handle kit and lo and behold it had a whole assortment of washers and a pressure washer. I took the old handle off and by using the enclosed washers was able to adjust the door to a good level of tightness with the new gasket. I ended up putting the washers on the opposite side from what the factory did.
So my recommendation is to get a spare door handle kit. You will need it some day but you will then have the tools to adjust your current door handle properly. If your door handle came properly set up I would still get a spare handle kit for insurance.

Thanks for the heads up.

If you take off the cast iron panel on the hinge side of the door, you can adjust the three bolts holding the hinge to the side of the stove, this can help square up the door if you are still not completely satisfied with the fit, getting the cast iron panel off is a little tricky, you need a long extension on a socket wrench to get to the bolts, watch your toes! that cast iron panel is heavy if it comes down on your foot.

LMAO, I just posted the same findings a few days ago.
I didnt get another handle kit, just took it off and swapped the washers over.

Status
Not open for further replies.