Some action shots...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
The wife decided to show off some of her camera skills. Here they are. Tool: X27. Fuel: Eastern Hemlock.

P.S. As you can tell by the way I stand that I'm paranoid about hitting my feet.

Attachments

• Wood Splitting 1.jpg
    Wood Splitting 1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Wood Splitting 2.jpg
    Wood Splitting 2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,140
Some more.

Attachments

• Wood Splitting 3.jpg
    Wood Splitting 3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Wood Splitting 4.jpg
    Wood Splitting 4.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,086
Stax said:
P.S. As you can tell by the way I stand that I'm paranoid about hitting my feet.

I made a pile of wood about 12" high that I stand behind. I don't think the x27 has the same foot-hitting potential as the x25 does.

I am jealous of your wood supply. :)

oldspark said:
You need to bend your knees some.
Yep, bend your knees and when you swing get the handle of the maul lower at the end of the swing. That way if the maul misses it won't be able to swing back towards you. The higher your handle is at the end of the swing the easier it will be able to swing towards you. You want the maul (handle and all) to be heading straight down when it impacts the wood, not rotating towards you.

Watch my son's knees.

Edit: looks like you are using a Fiskars, they are razar sharp, you have good reason to be paranoid. ;-)

If you miss, the maul should be going down, not towards you.

My stance is affected by my long arms and my natural tendency to overswing. I can't tell you how many times that I tapped to measure, and then over swing. Thats why my stance appears that way on the follow through.

Stax said:
My stance is affected by my long arms and my natural tendency to overswing. I can't tell you how many times that I tapped to measure, and then over swing. Thats why my stance appears that way on the follow through.

Just a question - How long have you been hand splitting? I ask for a reason. If you tell me that you have been doing this for the last 10 yrs, I will shut up. If you tell me that this is your first year - I am going to point out that your form is probably going to hurt you in the long run. Your gonna wear your body out.

Jags said:
Stax said:

Just a question - How long have you been hand splitting? I ask for a reason. If you tell me that you have been doing this for the last 10 yrs, I will shut up. If you tell me that this is your first year - I am going to point out that your form is probably going to hurt you in the long run. Your gonna wear your body out.
Exactly......you gotta use your whole body when you are splitting wood. Stay loose in the legs and flexible. Stretch before, during, and after you split. If you stay rigid like that, your back and knees are gonna HATE you when you get older!!!

Yep were gonna put your pictures in the "dont try this at home" gallery.

You miss that piece of wood and you have an instant sex change.

I like that video, Carbon_Liberator. Even though your woodshed looks full, I'm sure you found a place for the new wood. :)

Lol...jags...2nd year splitter. Guess well have to get the wife to get the video camera out to show the whole thing. Take it easy old spark.

Stax said:
Lol...jags...2nd year splitter. Guess well have to get the wife to get the video camera out to show the whole thing.

That might not be a bad thing, Stax. A couple of small changes in form can make for a really big difference 5 or 10 yrs from now.

Stax said:

Stax, you do have long arms but you don't have to reach out like you are doing. You look as if you are afraid of what you are doing. It also amazes me to watch folks split wood and they never bend an elbow, even when lifting the axe or maul up and over their head. They work twice as hard as necessary. But keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it.

Stax said:

Long arms help you get the maul handle lower at the end of the swing. The end where you hold the handle is the rotation point, the higher you hold that rotation point at the end of the swing the easier it is for the sharp end to swing under and towards you. Hold that rotation point down as low as you can at the end of the swing and the blade will swing into the ground before it can swing back at your body.

You wouldnt swing at a baseball that stiff. Imagine thats what youre doing vertical and let the tool do the work.

OUCH My back hurts. get your self the proper tools. The fiskar is a great ax for small stuff. But your a bigg guy by getting your self a 6-8 lb maul the handle is longer and makes splitting wood easier. The kid in the video is a hundered pounds soaking wet and hes swinging a 8pounder. Get your self the proper tools for the work your doing and your back will thank you later.
A picture can say alot of things. Like that video if you look at the split in the shed one of there spits equals three of yours
Save your back

Constructive criticism is one thing. Ignorance is another. See photo (4 lb. sledge, 8 lb. maul, 8 lb. sledge, X27, 2 wedges and safety glasses).

1. Before assuming that I don't have the proper tools...ask.
2. You will also notice that the length of the x27 is practically identical to the maul I swing.

The X27 is great for more than just small stuff. I think many folks in this forum would agree. In this case (14" eastern hemlock diameter rounds and under) the X27 IS the proper tool. Why swing the heavier maul when it isn't needed? You're right, a picture can say a lot of things. So can ignorance.

P.S. Who cares about the split size comparison? Everyone has different heating needs, split sizes, etc. The Black Locust splits you're referring to were split that size for a reason.

Save your comments.

Attachments

• Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 440
Sorry for assuming. It looks like you got it all under control

Carbon_Liberator said:
oldspark said:
You need to bend your knees some.
Yep, bend your knees and when you swing get the handle of the maul lower at the end of the swing. That way if the maul misses it won't be able to swing back towards you. The higher your handle is at the end of the swing the easier it will be able to swing towards you. You want the maul (handle and all) to be heading straight down when it impacts the wood, not rotating towards you.

Watch my son's knees.

Edit: looks like you are using a Fiskars, they are razar sharp, you have good reason to be paranoid. ;-)

Thanks for the video...kid does that better than me and I probably out weigh him by about 100pounds....my swing is to the side of my head rather than right over my head which is my issue

Stax-you still need to bend your knees :lol:, and yes the Fiskars is good for more than just small stuff to which many of us agree on.

Status
Not open for further replies.