Some action shots...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiskars Super Splitting Axe (now known as X25) and 24"+ Red Oak.
Click image for video.

Not just for small stuff. One of the kids at my job saw this and says I swing like a feline!

Flatbedford said:
Fiskars Super Splitting Axe (now known as X25) and 24"+ Red Oak.
Click image for video.

Not just for small stuff. One of the kids at my job saw this and says I swing like a feline!

Why don't you ask him to show you a video of him swinging an axe!

I think he's gonna come up to the house and show me how some time. He say's he's been doing it since he's ten years old... in 2000! If it happens there will be video.

Flatbedford said:
I think he's gonna come up to the house and show me how some time. He say's he's been doing it since he's ten years old... in 2000! If it happens there will be video.

Let me know when I will meet you there so maybe I can get a few pointers!

Have to admit that when I first started splitting with the Fiskars I had my doubts. That was for about 5 minutes. Then I started giggling. A maul was never that much fun. With the right wood I can beat my power splitter.

Man I really most of put my foot in my mouth. Ill be out in the woods to split up a downed red oak I'll bring both axs and give it a try.

Two things
+1 on the comments on getting your hands lower. Look at the vid of the kid again and look at how he finishes his swing with his hands almost level with the chopping block.

Second one is to get yourself a MUCH bigger chopping block. Not taller but bigger around, maybe even a 36 incher if you can find one. Until you can find a big chopping block, try putting another round in front of the block you have. That way you can put your rounds on the back side and have plenty of wood in front of you in case you miss. That should help the fear factor immensely.

With all the nice stacked wood, you are doing something right. :)
I stand closer to the wood with a little bend in my knees, very little bend in my back & swing the maul more straight up & down than in a circle. Easier on my back. If I miss the maul hits the stump or the ground, a long way from the toes.
Never used a fiskars so no experience with one, I have full length handles on my axe & mauls.
But from all you have CSS, it's working for you.
Good job!

Like my golf swing, I always have room for improvement LOL :lol:

I use a 8lb maul and the X27. Sometimes I have to stick a wedge in it and beat the hell out of it with both.
I can make better time of it if I can get on a roll using the Fiskars.
I was with a group of guys a couple weekends ago. We were getting ready to load up my truck and call it a day.
I said wait.... I want to bust this up now before we load. They were all saying go ahead macho man.
took about 15 minutes with someone setting up the rounds for me.

I wouldn't even let them touch the Fiskars.LOL

It is a very nice tool.

You ain't going to take no crap from me if you are splitting your own wood.

Yup... Guess I gotta work on the knee bend. That's easy fixin. Anyhow thanks for all the feedback. Thanks creature and bogydave.

You'll be fine, Stax......but try to loosen up your whole body when swinging, your body will thank you down the road. And I'm proud of ya for having the balls to put yourself out there for the criticism. You'll get it fine tuned before ya know it, and that nice pile of wood will double in size. :)

One of the best ideas ever for splitting is to screw an old tire to the top of your chopping block. It keeps the splits from falling on the ground and gives something extra for the maul to hit if you miss.

Blacktail...yup, been meaning to do that but I need to get a bigger and wider chopping block first. Good suggestion though.

Stax said:
Constructive criticism is one thing. Ignorance is another. See photo (4 lb. sledge, 8 lb. maul, 8 lb. sledge, X27, 2 wedges and safety glasses).

1. Before assuming that I don't have the proper tools...ask.
2. You will also notice that the length of the x27 is practically identical to the maul I swing.

The X27 is great for more than just small stuff. I think many folks in this forum would agree. In this case (14" eastern hemlock diameter rounds and under) the X27 IS the proper tool. Why swing the heavier maul when it isn't needed? You're right, a picture can say a lot of things. So can ignorance.

P.S. Who cares about the split size comparison? Everyone has different heating needs, split sizes, etc. The Black Locust splits you're referring to were split that size for a reason.

Save your comments.

I thought they were being nice noone called you a fat kid

cptoneleg said:
Stax said:
Constructive criticism is one thing. Ignorance is another. See photo (4 lb. sledge, 8 lb. maul, 8 lb. sledge, X27, 2 wedges and safety glasses).

1. Before assuming that I don't have the proper tools...ask.
2. You will also notice that the length of the x27 is practically identical to the maul I swing.

The X27 is great for more than just small stuff. I think many folks in this forum would agree. In this case (14" eastern hemlock diameter rounds and under) the X27 IS the proper tool. Why swing the heavier maul when it isn't needed? You're right, a picture can say a lot of things. So can ignorance.

P.S. Who cares about the split size comparison? Everyone has different heating needs, split sizes, etc. The Black Locust splits you're referring to were split that size for a reason.

Save your comments.

I thought they were being nice noone called you a fat kid

A lot of things no one called him. Guess I don't get your post. Or do I.

Lol...fat kid. Not really sure I'm understanding ur post. If u mean to be insulting, ain't nothing fat over here. At 6'2, 250 (ex collegiate football player) I'd love to see ur frame.

I really think we're about done here, folks. When the thread turns from the original subject (in this case, splitting wood) and tends toward tossing nasty barbs at one another, I'd say the useful conversation is over. Please all, help us keep Hearth.com one of the friendliest, most civil sites on the net. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.