Some advice on sizing stove for an odd renovation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reamick

Sep 18, 2014
Manitoba, Canada
I've moved back to the farm I grew up on to be with my parents. Living in the house with them is, ummm, not optimum. I've cleaned out an old wood quonset building (stuffed to the rafters with junk) and I'm planning (hoping) to move into it. It measures 30ft x 40ft, and is 16ft at the peak (I figure about 16,100 sqft).

I'll be putting R22 insulation in the walls. It does have a concrete floor. I'm looking at the Drolet HT2000, but I'm worried about those warnings saying don't go too big (which is pretty much how I buy power tools and anything else when I'm renovating). We've got lots of deadfall on the farm and have a pile of wood that's been sitting around for at least a year, so I'm good on the wood front. I have lived with a wood stove in past (very old one, just a basic cast iron box) and I really loved it, so I'm used to the basics.f

Oh, and I live in southern Manitoba, just above North Dakota, so not usual to see -30 in the winter.

Can anyone offer me some advice on size or models?

Vastly different price point, but it's hard to beat a Blaze King, if it is to be your sole heat source, and you're worried about going "too big." A cat stove can be dialed back much farther than a non-cat, so you can run a big box at low temp's, and take advantage of some long burn times.

Welcome. A catalytic stove will give you the most range for heating, but the Drolet is a lot less expensive and will get the job done. You will need to burn smaller fires in milder weather or use an electric space heater. To reduce heat loss and improve comfort I'd also get some sort of insulation on the floor. A foam pad with carpet at least would help. In my shop I put down this product over the concrete slab floor and the improvement was quite dramatic. Mine are 1/2", dark grey and industrial looking but they also come in colors.
http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W88989-Diamond-Anti-Fatigue-Interlocking/dp/B000IZ9C9M/ref=sr_1_cc_1
https://www.foamtiles.com/12-inch-tiles.html

Status
Not open for further replies.