Some Backyard Lumberjackin...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Okay, so it was time for the Pine and the 10 year old Pin Oak in the back yard to go. Called up my buddy and got to work. That is him in the tree. I got to practice some felling cuts. The first pic is it standing (some 40 ft.). The 2nd pic is my buddy making his way up and limbing. More pics to follow as I uploaded them too large.

Attachments

• Standing Pine.jpg
    Standing Pine.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 519
  • Pine 1.jpg
    Pine 1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 553
My buddy topping and coming back down.

Attachments

• Pine 2.jpg
    Pine 2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 509
  • Pine 3.jpg
    Pine 3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 535
have myself cut large trees down in a small yard, its tricky work forsure!

Lastly, are shots of some final bucking and a pile o' pine. Guess it'll be my shoulder season wood for next heating season.

Attachments

• Bucking Pine.jpg
    Bucking Pine.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 507
  • Pile O' Pine.jpg
    Pile O' Pine.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 479
Forgot to add this one. Notice any difference?

Attachments

• Pine Gone.jpg
    Pine Gone.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 475
Great pictures. Good demo of how you proceeded.
Good learning experience & you got some firewood too.
Nice stacks stax :)

Lol...that is NOT my U shaped pine. It is my neighbors.

I just did a 65 footer on Sunday. I love climbing and bucking those tall trees. Gives you a rush. But sometimes it gets a little 'hairy'....Nice job piecing that tree down, that corner of your yard looks great now! Nice stacks, Stax!!

so that's how you do it. I think I'll watch a few more times before I try that myself.

That was an Eastern Hemlock, by the way. You're burning the state tree!

Scotty Overkill said:
I just did a 65 footer on Sunday. I love climbing and bucking those tall trees. Gives you a rush. But sometimes it gets a little 'hairy'....Nice job piecing that tree down, that corner of your yard looks great now! Nice stacks, Stax!!

You get all the rush you want. I'll stay a little closer to the ground.

Stax said:

Job well done Stax, opens up the front of the shed real nice. We have some pine & hemlock for next years shoulder season, looking forward to burning some pine for the first time.

zap

zapny said:
Stax said:

Job well done Stax, opens up the front of the shed real nice. We have some pine & hemlock for next years shoulder season, looking forward to burning some pine for the first time.

zap
me too. Lookin forward to see how it burns in the shoulder season...

Thats more than lumber jacking.....Thats a crazy cowboy climber!

Very good Stax. Nice to get that crooked thing out of there. I too have climbed some of those beasts. The first time or two sort of give you a few chills but then it starts to be fun. It was the same thing when I was a young lad and the first time I had to climb up the outside of the silo. Soon it became a fun thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.