Some Beech!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefus78

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 27, 2010
Just Outside Indy
This beech has been down for a while, and while sitting in the treestand, I decided it's time to get it off the ground. The main stem will remain standing. It's completley hollow and houses all sorts of squirrels and who knows what else. I watch them wake up anytime I sit this stand. They are used to me and dont even bark! After seeing absolutely no deer other than a small 6pt that needs 2 more years of growing, I decided to start work on the beech since deer movement was nil. While bucking it up, this 12" diameter (2nd pic) top half of a small maple decided to come down near me. I was cutting alone, so needless to say, I packed it up REAL quick. Zero loads hauled, Zero split, and only half of it bucked. Wood just ain't worth it sometimes.

Attachments

• IMAG0492 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0492 (Medium).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 356
  • IMAG0493 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0493 (Medium).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 347
Bocefus78 said:
This beech has been down for a while, and while sitting in the treestand, I decided it's time to get it off the ground. The main stem will remain standing. It's completley hollow and houses all sorts of squirrels and who knows what else. I watch them wake up anytime I sit this stand. They are used to me and dont even bark! After seeing absolutely no deer other than a small 6pt that needs 2 more years of growing, I decided to start work on the beech since deer movement was nil. While bucking it up, this 12" diameter (2nd pic) top half of a small maple decided to come down near me. I was cutting alone, so needless to say, I packed it up REAL quick. Zero loads hauled, Zero split, and only half of it bucked. Wood just ain't worth it sometimes.

Glad you are still here, thats a good miss.

Bocefus78, I agree... we never can tell when a branch is going to break off the main trunk. On a route I travel up top we had a big part of a sugar maple come down over the trail, makes you wonder when our time is coming.

zap

Glad it was a miss.
Bet you learned to look up before you start cutting, File that one "to be remembered"!!!! :)
Follow some of Zaps post.
He's cleaning up his wood very nice & getting rid of those widow makers. Making the woods safe & getting lots of good fire wood.
No need to get hurt or hurry doing it., slow & easy & think it thru. May take a little more time, but it's worth it.
Windy days are for kites, not wood cutting :)

Glad you were not hurt. Sometimes people are not so lucky. A week ago my son brought a note home from his teacher. The Dad of one of his classmates was killed by a tree coming down. He was running a large maple sugar operation and was only up there to inspect and put up some lines. I do not have any specifics but it shows how dangerous it sometimes can be to just walk in the woods. Makes me think twice whether I really want to do my own tree cutting.

Tree flying my money on Chris. Hes got a NFL 40 yard dash!

smokinjay said:
Tree flying my money on Chris. Hes got a NFL 40 yard dash!

I cant outrun what I don't see coming, that much I know! If the saw had been running, it may have been ugly. I heard it thru my ear protection with the radio going inside of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.