Some Dealer are keeping the tax credit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yardley

Jul 10, 2009
Bucks county
A buddy of mine called me on advise about pellet stoves since he knew I had one.I have a quad mt vernon I paid $2400 for it 2 years ago.He went to his local dealer near Morristown NJ . The dealer wanted $4000.00 not including the install he also told him that this was a good price as the price was going up again in Sept.He felt that the dealer is basically taking his $1500 tax credit netting his cost down to $2500 instead of say with a 2 year price hike to $3000 less the $1500 = $1500 net cost after tax credit.So even with the $1500 tax credit his cost is now $2500 still $100 more than I paid 2 years ago.My advise was do not pay 4K with $2 heating oil they will not be able to move these stoves at that price hold out till Oct or Nov if oil is still low they will have to drop the price of the stoves to move them.I wonder has anyone else seen these ridiculous price hikes since the tax credit took effect.

I think what he's saying is dealers are increasing the price because people will take the tax credit at tax time.

dealers CAN'T take the tax credit. Where in God's green earth do people come up with this stuff??? If you don't like the price shop around, AE stoves have increased quite a bit in the last 2 yrs, especially if yours is a Mt Vernon vs an AE Mt Vernon. And if your friend takes your advise to wait until Oct or Nov, remind him not to whine about a 6-8 week lead time

humpin iron said:
dealers CAN'T take the tax credit. Where in God's green earth do people come up with this stuff??? If you don't like the price shop around, AE stoves have increased quite a bit in the last 2 yrs, especially if yours is a Mt Vernon vs an AE Mt Vernon. And if your friend takes your advise to wait until Oct or Nov, remind him not to whine about a 6-8 week lead time

dont think he is saying that the dealer is getting the tax credit directly. I think he is stating that since we can get a credit if we purchase new, dealers feel they can charge a bit more on their end.

anyone done a $ check? what does a new one go for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.