Some good Shagbark Variation Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
As promised, some really good bark variation pics from a ShagBark I felled the other day.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• shagbark_06.jpg
    shagbark_06.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 581
A couple red squirrels rose a chatter like mad dogs when I went to collect some nuts.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• shagbark_08.jpg
    shagbark_08.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 505
  • shagbark_07.jpg
    shagbark_07.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 512
Thank you, Woodbutcher, for always posting such great pictures of various tree species. I got some Hickory a few months ago from the local golf course, and have burned Hickory many times over the years; it is arguably the best fuelwood going-great stuff.

Keep up the good work!

cool pic man- we have tons of shagbarks where I live- the power line company cuts them down like they're weeds. Only problem is my stacks keep getting eaten by those dang hickory borers.

Wow I think I finally know what trees I have one my property. the are very mature and have that bark that almost flakes off. And they drop those stupid nuts everywhere.

Great pics!

Dem is good nuts though,the shag not the squirrel's.
Yousta collect some for my grandmother and she'd make cookies
with em. Don't think I have the recipe though.
Was real good eats.

Hiking around the Gettysburg Battlefield last month, there were tons of nuts falling off all of the Shagbarks, but maybe two or three of the trees had nuts that were about double the size of the other Shagbark nuts. Yes, I am sure they were all Shagbark Hickories. I collected as many nuts off the big-nut trees as I could get, and plan to plant them in the yard. I'll let you know in 40 years if I have managed to grow improved hickory trees, or if it was just a good year for those trees. I think Shagbark Hickories have the tastiest native nuts that I have tried.

PA. Woodsman said:
Thank you, Woodbutcher, for always posting such great pictures of various tree species. I got some Hickory a few months ago from the local golf course, and have burned Hickory many times over the years; it is arguably the best fuelwood going-great stuff.

Keep up the good work!
I second the motion...... Good job Butcher...

Birdman1 said:
Great pics!

Was real good eats.

Birdman, you can put the hickory nuts in any recipe and they are great.

We used to gather them, get the outer shell off, place the nuts in an onion bag and hang from the rafters (use wire for hanging) of an outdoor shed. We'd get them down in late winter to shell out, hoping they would be dry enough.

Backwoods Savage said:
Birdman1 said:
Great pics!

Was real good eats.

Birdman, you can put the hickory nuts in any recipe and they are great.

We used to gather them, get the outer shell off, place the nuts in an onion bag and hang from the rafters (use wire for hanging) of an outdoor shed. We'd get them down in late winter to shell out, hoping they would be dry enough.

Never tried letting the dry some, always cracked em right after gathering.
Have to try that, see if they taste better.

wow thanks for the pics of the nuts, always wondered what they were as they seemed to have the unusual characteristic of the sharp ridges.

Carbon_Liberator said:
iskiatomic said:
Speaking of hickory, I stumbled across this last week. Interesting.

http://hickoryworks.com/

KC
Anybody ever tried this "Shagbark" Hickory syrup before? I never even knew there was such a thing. Does it taste like maple syrup?

I got some a couple of weeks ago. It is sweet, but does not taste like maple syrup, although you could put it on pancakes. I read that it is good mixed with bourbon and put on ribs. It comes with a couple of recipes, so I want to try to cook with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.