Some info on Valfei pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midfielder

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2011
NH
So there's a farm store not too far from me that sells Valfei pellets. They quoted me a price of $250/ton for either Ambiance or Orford - not too bad. I burned a ton of Ambiance last year and liked them. There isn't much info on these pellets out there, and some of it confusing, so I called Valfei in QC. The gal on the phone seemed to know her stuff - here's some of what she had to say:

The hardwood blend in the Ambiance pellet is sugar maple, cherry, and oak.
There are two varieties of Orford pellets - hard and soft.
The hardwood Orfords are the same pellet as the Ambiance.
The softwood Orfords are by another manufacturer in QC - Valfei doesn't make their own softwood pellets, they swap inventory with the other (un-named) maker.
The softwood Orfords are not Douglas Fir - they are a mix of pine and spruce.
They had a fire in a plant a few years ago and, to satisfy softwood pellet demand, they imported pellets from the west coast for a time - those were of Jack Pine and a miserable failure - she burned some herself.
Subsequently, softwood Orfords were only marketed in the US starting last year.

Attachments

• ambiance fuel requirements.pdf
    156.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Orford analyed on july 2011.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 302
  • Ambiance Analyses july 2011sm.pdf
    66.1 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: P38X2
Status
Not open for further replies.