1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Some Like it Hot - What's Your Favorite Hot Sauce

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Boog, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I'm sitting here dying folks! I just opened up a bottle of "Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce" that my daughters got me for Christmas. Now I like hot sauce, I'm not the toughest person in the world, but I can take it pretty hot! They got me an assortment of small bottles for stocking stuffers, and I worked my way through two of them already without much to write home about. I glanced at the ingredients of this one to see what kind of peppers it used, it only stated "Hot peppers, tomato paste, hot pepper extract, salt cane vinager, etc, etc........" I applied a liberal dose over a roast pork and veggie dish I just made and started in on it.

WOW............... This is HOT STUFF !!! This stuff hits you right on the tongue and lips worst !!!

I took another look at the bottle and it says "Use this product one drop at a time. Keep away from eyes, pets, children. Not for people with heart or respiratory problems"................ This isn't your regular liberally used sauce folks! I'm going to go and get me a popsicle from the freezer!

So how about telling me what your favorite sauce is. I'm not looking for the worst killer stuff you ever tried, I've seen them put together some stuff on the food channels that make your butt burn just watching it. I'm looking for the best combination of heat and wonderful flavor combined!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    Not really fond of sauces so much. I like my heat from peppers and such.

Gary
    northwinds likes this.
  3. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE Michigan and Trinity, Newfoundland
    Clancy's fancy hot sauce from Ann Arbor, Michigan. They've been around at least 30 years and offer the sauce in mild, hot, and extra-hot. Besides being hot it also has a nice flavor.
    ChipTam
  4. legrandice

legrandice Burning Hunk

Loc:
    South Hadley, MA
    I love hot sauce! I have probably 10 different ones in the fridge at all times. My buddy must have around 30 going at any one time! I really only like ones that do NOT have the pepper extract. I find that I enjoy the real taste of the different peppers. The extract is just used to make the sauce hotter without adding flavor. I am currently enjoying a quart sized jar of:

http://dragonsbloodelixir.com/

This guy makes so many different small batches of sauces depending on the season.
  5. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    For off the shelf - daily stuff, I like the habanaro Tabasco. I do like heat, but I also want the flavor. I really like the flavor of the hab pepper and this is a nice combo of the two.

Stuff like Dave's insanity and Da Bomb, etc. Are just hot for the sake of being hot. I will use them as an ingredient (like a few dashes into a pot of chili)
    firebroad and Adios Pantalones like this.
  6. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Not a big fan of Dave's, or any that extract capsaicin and then add it back. They are hot, but harsh flavored and I don't want a sauce just to make a statement.

I made my own this year with habaneros and garlic that I grew, carrots, vinegar, salt... It is my favorite. Just spectacular.

I also like El Yucateco, Melinda's, and even Pete's. many others, as well.
    Jags likes this.
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Dave's Insanity Sauce . . . oh that brings back memories . . . it was back when I was first hired by the BFD and brought in a left over BBQ steak sandwich that I learned to never leave my food unattended in the day room when other firefighters were around. Left to go answer the phone and came back . . . first bite and I knew my sandwich had been spiked as there was an incredible burning sensation in my mouth . . . well that and there was tee-heeing and the firefighters sitting at the table next to mine were all a-twitter. I tried to keep eating the sandwich, but finally had to give up . . . fortunately there was some milk in the refrigerator.
  8. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    When I just want heat in a dish, I had a bumper crop of habaneros this year- I add them dried or frozen. They are hot, but have a citrusy flavor that is just great.
    Jags likes this.
  9. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Did you can this stuff, or is it a refrigerator storage?
  10. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    I canned it. Thinking about making more- if I do, I'll send you a jar.
    Shane N and Jags like this.
  11. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Awesome. Pressure can or water bath?
  12. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Plain old Tabasco, just for the flavor. For heat, I will grown a variety of peppers (ceyanne comes to mind) to dry and use.
    I have friends who know I love spicy food, and they try to offer me some of those products that melt the lining from your tongue. They don't understand, it's not pain I am after, just pep.::-)
  13. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    It's a high vinegar recipe, and approved for water bath.
    Jags likes this.
  14. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Sounds delicious. I tried to make hot sauce once, but it wasn't all that great.
  15. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

Call me old fashioned, but I like good old Frank's Red Hot. It will be (as always) a main ingredient of my Super Bowl wings this weekend along with garlic and butter.
  16. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I will admit that Franks Red hot Xtra hot - resides in my fridge.
  17. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I don't care for the vinegary hot sauces that much. Makes whatever you put them on taste like salt and vinegar...and aren't really hot enough for my taste. There a a few that I can tolerate that are in the Mexican food section.

If I want some heat I just add some powered chilis (habs, japs, whatever)...grow them in the garden...smoke them (optional)...dry them...then give them hell in the blender. Sprinkle a little in or on whatever you like.
    firebroad likes this.
  18. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    That's why I love Tabasco. Ingredients are peppers and salt. And very little of the salt.
  19. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    My uncle makes incredible home-made hot sauce. I'll have to get his recipe and post it.
    firebroad likes this.
  20. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    I have a haircutting customer who makes his own hot sauce...he gives to me...I call it "Rob's Hot Sauce" (his name is Rob)...is pretty hot, and a bit sweet, not so much vinegar...is quite good on the porks. I put crushed reds on most everything from breakfast cereal to milkshakes (is exaggeration,mostly just on meaty things) for a bit of "who's your daddy"...sometimes my wife goes a bit crazy with the hot peppers and tries to pretend she didn't put them in things until my nose is running and I just stuff tissues up my nostril so I can keep eating. I wouldn't say I like it that hot, but I think, she thinks I do. I think sometimes she thinks she's training me to be some type of competative eater.
  21. FrankMA

FrankMA Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley - Northeastern MA
    Wildo and Delta-T like this.
  22. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    i wouldn't even touch the bottle....i've seen ghost chilis on the TV and it made my eyes water.
  23. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I grew up in Buffalo with the Bills of course, hung with them till they lost the Superbowl for the 4th time. Then I finally began rooting for my Ohio home team, the Browns, and Model moved them to Baltimore where they won the Superbowl there, only as the new Ravens. :(

Being born in "55", I grew up during the era when Chicken Wings were "Invented" at the Anchor Bar during a blizzard. Local vinager based sauces on wings are what I grew up on. Franks Red Hot was a local brand that went big time, and is a regular stocking in my fridge too.

Like many of you I grow my own and freeze a little for adding to dishes as I cook them. Used to can and such when I was younger but have not for many years, still have all my jars and such. How about posting up a few recipes too? Especially interested in all those little secret extra flavor enhancing ingredients you all use! ;)
  24. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    That sounds like real scary chit! You have me interested in some seeds now. I googled "ghost pepper seeds" after reading your links an found this great looking place. Serious seeds for sale and recipes and such too!

http://www.pepperjoe.com/
  25. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    I'm addicted to Frank's. I drown almost everything in it. Drives the wife and kids crazy.
    Wildo likes this.