Some new questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandie

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
West of Boston, MA
My new to me Resolute was installed today and I have it burning now. She looks good but have some questions- The damper is either open or closed and no in between, is that right???
I can see light(fire) where the griddle meets the stove, not a lot but slivers, is this ok or does it need new aespestos type gasket or that little air leak does not mean anything?
So far she is buring nicely, we have a window open because he said to due to the paint on the black pipe will smell for the first few fires so good that it is not so cold out that we can open a window.
IT is at almost 600 degrees so how to stop it at that temp? The thermostat was set to half open and is now almost closed which is what it is supposed to do and as it cools it will open up or so it should. This stove is a 1985 or so but was used on weekend only for a number or years and then house fire(due to electrical) so built new home and they built a new home which was bigger so bought a Vermont Castings agin but bigger so this ended out in garage for a number of years. the Thermostat is not as smooth as i would like but...l do need to know if the damper is either open or closed and no in between for this model with is the older Resolute that has two doors?
Thanks in advance.

That griddle should be a tight seal or it will feed more air to the fire and you will lose some control of the burn. Let it burn out and install a new gasket and see if that makes a tighter fit.

sandie said:
My new to me Resolute was installed today and I have it burning now. She looks good but have some questions- The damper is either open or closed and no in between, is that right???
I can see light(fire) where the griddle meets the stove, not a lot but slivers, is this ok or does it need new aespestos type gasket or that little air leak does not mean anything?
So far she is buring nicely, we have a window open because he said to due to the paint on the black pipe will smell for the first few fires so good that it is not so cold out that we can open a window.
IT is at almost 600 degrees so how to stop it at that temp? The thermostat was set to half open and is now almost closed which is what it is supposed to do and as it cools it will open up or so it should. This stove is a 1985 or so but was used on weekend only for a number or years and then house fire(due to electrical) so built new home and they built a new home which was bigger so bought a Vermont Castings agin but bigger so this ended out in garage for a number of years. the Thermostat is not as smooth as i would like but...l do need to know if the damper is either open or closed and no in between for this model with is the older Resolute that has two doors?
Thanks in advance.

Yes, the bypass is either open for starting and refilling the stove, or closed after the top reaches 500°F and the wood has charred a bit. Were you able to download and read the manual yet? That is your best guide.

Sounds like the griddle gasket is ready for replacement.

Use the thermostat to regulate the stove. If the room is warm enough, close the thermostat so that the air intake flap is just closed at that temp and let the stove regulate itself from that point until it needs refilling.

Things seem good now, the seeing the fire alittle through the gasket area of the griddle- tightened up when the stove was hot and the gasket seems fine but I may change it out just cause.
The Thermostat- So I have the fire going at 500, like it to stay at 500 for a while I would get the thermostat to close gently and when the stove starts to slow down in temp the thermo will open on its own to fire her up a little, is that right? OR do I just back the thermo back to maybe half open to keep the fire at the point it is now for heat? My install is the stove is between two stone walls and there is about 2" of space on the side before getting to the stone wall, so I need to lean over the hot stove to see the thermostat postion in regard to where the handle is which is only a small steel rod of about 1/4" diameter that comes up the back of the stove which is on a chain like thing. It is old and a little rusty so was thinking of using some WD 40 when she is cold but would not do before checking with you guys but I am one happy camper with the new to me stove. The house was at 72 or so during our Tgiving dinner thanks to the stove and the furnace never cut on. BUT the temp outside was in high 40s low 50s yesterday so was no test of how warm she will be in winter.

Good to hear that it's working well for you. The thermostat is for regulating room temperature, not stove top temperature. The later will vary according to what the thermostat senses is needed. Open up an outside door and leave it open for about 20 minutes while watching the stove top temp. It will go up to 650 as the thermostat feeds more air to the fire. As for the chain, I'd let it be for now. It should be fine and sounds like it's working well.

Status
Not open for further replies.