Some newb questions re: VC Encore (non-cat)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
So I've purchased a VC Encore (non-cat) that I'm waiting on installation for, and I've got a couple questions:

- VC says don't run this stove with the doors open with firescreen unless you're running the 8" pipe. Since they don't think I can't run an 8" pipe (hearth installation, replacing a very old VC Resolute) what they plan to do is reduce to 6", which VC says is fine, and then run 25' of 6" pipe all the way up the chimney. They say with this setup, I'm assuming because it will promote a good draft, that I can run with the doors open should I wish to.

- second question: it's been a million years since I've run a stove, and back when I was a kid I was helping my father run coal in the Resolute when they made a coal insert for it. My question is how should I run my break in fires? VC just says keep temp under 500F, but beyond that, is there anything I need to worry about?

Any random pointer appreciated!

I did my VC break-in fires with small loads of kindling and smallish splits. Really didn't treat it as a big deal since as you say the guidance is pretty simple. One thing I didn't really 'get' at the time is that you have to really have a full bed of coals before engaging the everburn so don't make the mistake I did and expect to do it on the initial load... you can put your stove into high smoke mode really quick that way :) Get it hot before you play with the closing the bypass damper.

I hope you already have good wood on hand - like every newer stove, really dry wood is the key to the best experience. That is something that likely has changed since you were a kid - stoves are actually more picky this way. Not that I ever burned an older stove, rather relying on reports from others here. I can tell you that if your wood sizzles in that encore you won't have a good time with it though.

Thanks for the response. Wood isn't an issue... I'm buying seasoned hardwood this year until I can split and season the 30-odd oaks that are coming down in my yard.

Thanks for the info about the bypass... I would have started a small burn and then just closed it right away!

Caution on buying "seasoned" hardwood. Unless it is kiln dried, there is a good chance that it is still not really dry. The term "seasoned" doesn't have a legally binding definition so wood sellers market their wares with it and basically throw the word in there to mean anything that wasn't cut down in the last week or two... ok, perhaps it isn't quite that bad, but...

Bottom line really is that it doesn't matter when the trees were cut, or even when they were split. What matters is the moisture content of the wood. If it is around 20% +/- a few points then you are fine. It is RARE to find anyone in MA selling wood (particularly this time of year) that is naturally seasoned to this degree as it takes sitting out for a year or more (for Oak you are talking 2 years or more in most cases) which for a volume seller would take a LOT of space - land that is expensive in eastern MA area eh?

So - Kiln dried is an option to buy but you are talking seriously expensive to purchase as it is basically baked wood - someone has to pay for the fuel to heat it up for however long it takes to cook out the water.

Point here is that unless you really know the seller - I mean REALLY know the seller is selling dry wood you are most likely buying wood that will be ready for next year and likely will be disappointing for this winter.

Well understood. I'm willing to accept that for this year until I've got my own supply rolling.

I have 6" pipe on my Encore and 20+ feet of chimney. Initially I thought I'd like to be able to run with the doors open and the screen on, but I have to say that I don't see the need or attraction of running with a screen. The glass doors are large enough to give a nice view and the heat output is great.

I would skip the screen & put the $$ toward firewood for 2010-11 season, trust me on this one ;-)

Cut, split and stacked Oak will take 1-1/2 to 2 yrs. to be fully seasoned.

Shari

i would wait on the screen, you will pobable not care about it when you see it burn with the glass doors

Status
Not open for further replies.