Some positive press for wood-burning fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

henkmeuzelaar

Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2010
Targhee NF, ID
After the recent, extremely negative New York Times article about the wisdom and healthiness (or lack thereof) of operating wood-burning fireplaces and even stoves in one's home, I just noticed a rather more positive article entitled: "Fireplace Heating Myths Debunked" on AOL's DIY-Life website. The author -- Mark Clement -- is a "professional remodeler" who has apparently written a number of handbooks about home heating, as well as carpentry, and is a regular contributer to the Home & Garden TV (HGTV) channel.

I am not posting this link because I agree with everything Mark Clement writes there, but simply by way of throwing a couple more splits on the forum discussions. Whereas the combined knowledge and wisdom of the Hearth.com forum members should easily surpass that of any individual author, whether craftsman, engineer or scientist, I think it is healthy for us to keep well informed about what the public at large feels/thinks/says (take ur pick) about fireplaces and other residential combustion devices. After all, they are the ones voting for the future laws of the land that we all (or at least most of us ;) ) will eventually have to live with.

Have fun!

Henk

It should be noted that the Times article was talking in the context of New York City, not for the general case. The AOL article is helpful, but its premise of mythbusting is a bit vague and misleading without supporting numbers. Some of the suggestions are good. Still, while taking a 15% fireplace up to 25-30% with a glass door is up to a 100% improvement, it's still pretty inefficient compare to installing an insert or a freestanding stove.

Here's another article with a bit more data:
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/heating_cooling/fireplaces.html

Status
Not open for further replies.