Some questions on installing a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonbungalow

Feb 19, 2011
Boston
I just got an old pre-epa majestic fireplace off of craigslist. I believe it is a regency model, and it lists its clearances as 18" sides and 24" back. My first question is if I should consider these clearances or work with the standard unknown 36" since it is so old?

We are planning on putting a ventilated wall behind the fireplace to reduce the clearance to a foot, but we are a little low on space because the only place for our tv is on the same wall that we want to put the fireplace. I know that it is standard to have at least 1" clearance on all sides of this ventilated wall (unless you have lots of space on both sides) to allow for proper ventilation. I was wondering if it would be ok if I had the ventilated wall abut the chimney in the corner of my room, and have at least 1" clearance on the top, bottom, and right of the wall. I've looked everywhere online and haven't found anything addressing this situation. My concerns are, I'm not sure how close to the chimney I can place the wood stove-is it possible there are combustible materials somewhere behind the brick but below the chimney pipe? Even if I can bring the fireplace close to the chimney, will there be enough circulation in the corner to make up for one of the sides being closed, and if so, is there anyway around this (strategically placed fans or something) In case my description is confusing I attached a little diagram I drew up to help clarify things.

One last question. We thinking about doing a mosaic on the ventilation wall cementboard. Is there anything in particular we need to consider in types of tile, adhesive, and grout that are ok to use in such high heat conditions?

Sorry about rambling so much and asking so many questions, I'm just nervous because we just bought our first house, and this is my first experience with a fireplace. Don't want to mess up! Thank you so much for all your help!
~Dan

Attachments

• fireplace plan.jpg
    fireplace plan.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 169
It doesn't matter what anyone here tells you is acceptable practice. What matters is what your building inspector will accept as code-compliant. Likely his/her main concern will be where the flammables are, not walls or whatever, and how they are protected.

CTYank said:
It doesn't matter what anyone here tells you is acceptable practice. What matters is what your building inspector will accept as code-compliant. Likely his/her main concern will be where the flammables are, not walls or whatever, and how they are protected.

yeah, but that unit is likely not approved for install in Boston, so calling the inspector probably wont get him very far..

op, generally the clearances listed on the appliance will superceed nfpa211 36" rule

Status
Not open for further replies.