Some questions on seasoning a new Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

sappy

Jan 30, 2011
Vermont upper valley
The book says to do 3 or so small to moderate.breakin fires. My question is do I use just some good peces of kindling with paper for the first, as once it starts heating up it will eventually build up temp some with little in there I assume? Do I instead even on the first one add a couple of 2 or 3 inch sticks as well? Also do you folks usually leave the stove at 4 for a while before shutting down to say 2 or 1. I know about not using the combuster for all this. Any advice on experiences would be helpful. 75 out now, won't be doing these until we are home during some days off the next couple weeks as I never run anything much here steadil until after around oct 10 usually.

I'm a newbie myself... have built 3 in mine in the last 3 weeks. And the first two were with wood the size of 2 encyclopedias that I then let burn down with all vents (air) wide open. The third one I did the same but then added a couple larger pieces of wood after an hour or so.

I must say I was AMAZED at the burn time on that small amount of wood. Apparently this is not the fireplace I grew up with!

Mine is an RSF Delta 2.

Hope this helps,

Sam

You may see some sweating or moisture on the stone for the 1st fire so make it small at first. There was a guy here recently that blew a small chunk of stone out inside the fire box while breaking his Fireview in. I also had a small 50 cent piece sized chunk pop out on my 1st breakin but it wasn't very deep and never cracked or effected the stove. Most have no problems at all.

I use a good pile of 1/2"-2" kindling for my first fires and just let it burn til it went out. I also do this once per year just to drive out any summer moisture. I think the stove top temp went up to about 200. Next fire should be a little larger with a couple smaller splits, shoot for a higher temp over 300 or so. The last fire a little larger than the last, probably be fine engaging the cat and get temp up over 400 and you should be good to go after that.

As far as the air settings, I always start out at #4 til she catches good then bring it down to #2 or lower depending on how well it's burning. Usually by the time it's ready to engage I'm a tad over #1. Just a trial and error thing, you setup and draft could be a little different. Start on the high side and work your way down.

I bought a used Fireview but still did the breakin fires. In fact, I plan to do them again this year due to the soapstone drawing moisture during the hot & humid summers here in south-east Pennsylvania.

For the first fire, I'll use paper and 2-3 one inch sticks of kindling. I'll let it burn wide open.

For the second, I'll add 2 two inch sticks and probably burn it wide open again.

For the third, I'll add a single 3-4" split and probably turn down the burn once it gets going strong.

Todd said:
You may see some sweating or moisture on the stone for the 1st fire so make it small at first. There was a guy here recently that blew a small chunk of stone out inside the fire box while breaking his Fireview in. I also had a small 50 cent piece sized chunk pop out on my 1st breakin but it wasn't very deep and never cracked or effected the stove. Most have no problems at all.

I use a good pile of 1/2"-2" kindling for my first fires and just let it burn til it went out. I also do this once per year just to drive out any summer moisture. I think the stove top temp went up to about 200. Next fire should be a little larger with a couple smaller splits, shoot for a higher temp over 300 or so. The last fire a little larger than the last, probably be fine engaging the cat and get temp up over 400 and you should be good to go after that.

As far as the air settings, I always start out at #4 til she catches good then bring it down to #2 or lower depending on how well it's burning. Usually by the time it's ready to engage I'm a tad over #1. Just a trial and error thing, you setup and draft could be a little different. Start on the high side and work your way down.

+1

Good advice for a new stove and when coming back the following year for the new season's burn.

Good luck,
Bill

Thanks guys, and exp Todd, as I know you have a lot of experience with these stoves. I will be breaking it in over the next couple weeks hopefully. It should be half seasoned lol sitting here hooked up to this double walled since may.

Hey sappy, it won't be long now before you'll be burning. Here is how we did it:

1. First fire. 4-6 pieces of kindling. Light the fire and just let it burn out.

2. Second fire. We still use kindling and add a couple small splits this time. Light the fire and let it burn out.

3. Third fire. Same as the second except add maybe 4 splits. It should get hot enough this time to dial down the draft and even engage the cat. I'd leave the setting at anywhere from 1 to 2.

Now you should be good to go.

We usually have to dial the draft down to 2 quite fast because of the dry wood we use. When the stove gets to temperature and we engage the cat, dial down to 1. We will usually end up about .75. Most folks will end up around 1 to 1.25 on the final setting.

I like to watch both the stove top temperature and the flue temperature. Don't like the flue temperature over 500 (measured externally) so sometimes we have to dial down further before it is time to engage the cat. Usually we engage the cat anywhere from 5-15 minutes after reloads. On cold stove we usually are engaging the cat soon after a half hour. Could go sooner but try to heat up the stove a bit slower rather than taking any chances with the stone. So far, so good.

Thanks Dennis, all good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.