Some random musings...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Not much to say (at least nothing of importance) but I just got in from digging up some wood from my big pile and moving it up to my deck. This is the time I don't really like having such a tall deck - it is a full story up since our lot is sloped and it's on the back above the walk-out basement. Twenty two steps if I'm not mistaken, heh. So I refilled my deck rack - 1/4 cord and it looks like we'll be burning a lot of oak, many of them branch rounds, for the next week or so. I was out there wacking them together to get snow off the pieces and I have to say I like that "Crack!" sound they make, I think being frozen likely helps in that dept.

Was odd having to dig up the pile - it is right next to the driveway and I have tried to be diligent about not blowing the snow on it and even trying to clear a path around the one side. However I still had to dig a foot or so around to get to the base. I sure am glad that I decided to go with the pile next to the DW again this year. I keep thinking it may be a waste to move the wood there but I sure would have hated to have to bring wood around the house. I'd have to cut a path through the snow which is now up to my knees when I walk around (playing with kids).

I got a new cat for the stove. Yes it is "too soon" based on a lot of estimates but the old one took a lot of abuse as I was (am?) learning the stove. We run hot a lot of the time with lots of flames in the stove. Honestly I wasn't sure how bad it was - it wasn't totally dead clearly as it would still work, but there was far more smoke outside than I like - not the 'just heatwaves' that I like to see and I didn't see it light up much (even fresh from cleaning). On the bright side it only cost shipping as Woodstock was kind enough to consider it under warranty without any hassles. The new one is SS and the replacement process wasn't hard. Although it did take almost two weeks before stove got cold enough to do the job. Removing the old one out of the bracket was interesting as it seemed stuck shut, then when I pried the bracket apart the cat broke into halves the hard way - i.e. top and bottom. Boy is that material fragile! Once it was apart it started falling to pieces - no option to go back. So I knocked the rest out of the brackets and scraped the gasket out etc to get new one in. Took opportunity to shop-vac the stove top area so it was totally clean.

Now first fire after new cat told me I made a good (if not optimal) decision - it glowed right up after engaging and has every fire after. I don't notice as much smoke smell outside and I'm convinced that I'm getting more heat from the stove. Of course it is above freezing today so we don't need as much heat, but in any case house is warm still at 5p after loading at 8 (loaded at 10 previous night and no problems with being cold this AM either). So hopefully I won't abuse this one too much - perhaps it can take it better anyway.

I am feeling a bit guilty about not cutting as I burn though. I had planned to get a load of logs to chew on during these cold weekends but just didn't get around to it. I suppose it would have been quite a mess/challenge to deal with 3' of snow on top of the load and the ice etc that goes with it likely wouldn't make working the stack any safer for an amateur such as myself so I'll wait until spring. Given that I'm on track for burning just over 3 cords and I had 12 at the start of the season I think I'll be ok even cutting in the spring as it will get at least 2 and maybe 3 years to dry out before I burn it.

Anyway, I'm still alive and warm. Kids still love the heat and the wife now loads the stove like a pro without complaint. Although she does find it annoying that the wood catches well before she is done loading - she is a bit shy of the flames for whatever reason.

Slow, I hope you keep us posted on the new cat. It does sound good. I was surprised you had to also change the gasket when you switched cats. Seems like that one should be okay but I'll find out soon enough on ours.

You are right about the wood. There will be time when the 3' of white stuff melts off.

Slow1 said:
>>>>>>>>
Anyway, I'm still alive and warm. Kids still love the heat and the wife now loads the stove like a pro without complaint. Although she does find it annoying that the wood catches well before she is done loading - she is a bit shy of the flames for whatever reason.

I enjoyed reading your musings. Seems to me you're a better writer than most of us here. Keep them coming!

Henk

P.S. The reason why a lot of women appear to be more easily scared around flames is probably due to their longer hair (yeah, I know some of the guys on this site would have provided some nice scalps in the old, wild days as well :). Even if your wife might not have long hair right now, chances are she learned to be circumspect around flames when she was just a little girl....

I'm going on my 4th year with this cat burning 3 cords per year and it still lites off and heats fine. It does have hairline cracks but no crumbling yet. I might just buy a new steel one to have it on hand when this one poops out. Might as well get the new stainless scoop while I'm at it.

Hey Slow1,

I enjoyed your ponderings.

I have a raised deck too, and considering some sort of mechanical assistance. Heck, I think I'll start a thread on it right now! :)

Thanks for the inspiration, and best wishes.

Backwoods Savage said:
Slow, I hope you keep us posted on the new cat. It does sound good. I was surprised you had to also change the gasket when you switched cats. Seems like that one should be okay but I'll find out soon enough on ours.

You are right about the wood. There will be time when the 3' of white stuff melts off.

As to the gasket - the one I'm referring to is part of the cat mounting. It runs around the cat to seal it to the 'box' that holds it together (the cast part around the cat). Interesting note is that when new cat is installed it has this gasket taped around it and the cat is actually a bit loose inside. The gasket then expands when heated the first time in the stove.

As to wood - funny thing is that I have a pile of rounds from my last scrounge. I can't even tell exactly where they are anymore and frankly digging for them with the snowblower likely wouldn't result in a positive outcome for the snowblower....

PyMS said:
I enjoyed reading your musings. Seems to me you're a better writer than most of us here. Keep them coming!

Glad to entertain - it is a fun community to be a part of. If I were to go on about these things at the work watercooler I'd likely find myself standing there all alone. Again. :)

PyMS said:
P.S. The reason why a lot of women appear to be more easily scared around flames is probably due to their longer hair (yeah, I know some of the guys on this site would have provided some nice scalps in the old, wild days as well :). Even if your wife might not have long hair right now, chances are she learned to be circumspect around flames when she was just a little girl....

That is a very interesting observation that I'd never considered before. Perhaps the first time my daughter singes her locks she'll gain increased respect for the flame.

Battenkiller said:
Slow1 said:
Twenty two steps if I'm not mistaken.....

Gee, you must be a lot of fun at parties. %-P

JK, Slow. Like I should talk, eh? Glad to see you posting. :)

You have no idea... or perhaps you do.

Those steps are the one thing that I can honestly say I don't like about wood burning. I keep trying to come up with a safe and reasonable inexpensive lift that could bring a whole wheelbarrow full of wood right up to deck level. I even considered a conveyor belt arrangement a few times... guess when hauling boxes of wood up steps the mind can get rather creative. (winch at top of steps attached to the wheelbarrow and a bunch of 2x6's making an inclined plane out of the steps anyone?).

Slow1 said:
Those steps are the one thing that I can honestly say I don't like about wood burning. I keep trying to come up with a safe and reasonable inexpensive lift that could bring a whole wheelbarrow full of wood right up to deck level. I even considered a conveyor belt arrangement a few times... guess when hauling boxes of wood up steps the mind can get rather creative. (winch at top of steps attached to the wheelbarrow and a bunch of 2x6's making an inclined plane out of the steps anyone?).

Come on over here, and join the fun!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69884/

Slow1 said:

If I had to haul all my wood up 22 steps, you bet your bottom I'd be getting a more efficient stove than the one I have. ;-)

Whatever you devise, you should make it so you can still get a workout. A ratcheting cable system attached to a rowing machine, perhaps? A chain-driven reduction gear system connected to an exercise bike? A treadmill hooked up to a multiple pulleys?

H-mmm... now you have my mind working... I'm sure I can come up with a wonderful Rube Goldberg contraption that will be almost half as energy efficient as carrying them up in boxes.

BTW guys, all ladies aren't scared of fire. Lady BK is fearless around fire. She has even gotten a few free haircuts playing with the stuff, but she remains undaunted. She does all of the fireplace fires and the outdoor fire pit and chiminea fires. When we camp, I get to cut and split the wood, but she insists on controlling every aspect of "her" fire. She's used my forge, has her own oxy-acetylene torch and two oxy-propane glass torches. Her big glass torch can throw a beautiful 4900ºF blue flame about 3'. Here's a pic of her at the glass bench with her little torch. Note the firebrick at the rear of the bench. The flame from her big torch licks right up against it when she'd running it full bore.

Attachments

• Rose-at-burner.jpg
    Rose-at-burner.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 235
Status
Not open for further replies.