Some splitting and an ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
I posted a few weeks back about a load I got from my tree guy consisting of silver maple and a mystery wood. I got it all bucked up and moved out to the splitting area. Ive got some better pics now of the wood in question. Anybody got any ideas? Its very deep red/purple, and smells a bit like horses/manure ;lol

Heres some pics from a couple big rounds I noddled

IMG_1047.jpg IMG_1716.jpg IMG_1844.jpg

And here it all is in the Bronco

IMG_6882.jpg

Heres my wall o wood that Ive gotta get split. Ive been chipping away at the maple

IMG_7973.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Ive always associated manure smell with red oak....bark looks rite..straight grain...there are alot of different types of oak...nice looking wood...lol

Not like any red oak Ive had. I know the oak smell you mean but this is a bit different. The wood is also not very hard. It cut easy

Looks like Elm

Reactions: nrford
Looks like Elm

That was my first thought, but some of that southern stuff......I'm not real familiar with at all.

I thought elm at first as we'll but it seems a little soft? Then gain I've never had any elm to compare to

Also this stiff isn't real bad to split, which seems to go against elms reputation

I almost wanna say mulberry. The dark color and thick sapwood don't know how soft it is tho

Red Elm or possibly Siberian elm. Typically has 2-3 sapwood rings. The trees seed well in moist soils. Have tons of water in them but dry out to fairly light wood. Very easy to split. Usually wide growth rings. Doesnt like shade, kind of open land trees.
The Red elm Im refering to is Slippery Elm.
If they dont grow in Georgia then its something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.