Some tree work up at scout camp today....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotty, great job on the trees.I will pretty much attempt anything but I won't climb a tree like that and do what you do. You have to be a little different :)
and for the breakfast, I am a big eater but even I would say that was a breakfast for six :)

Reactions: ScotO
Scotty, great job on the trees.I will pretty much attempt anything but I won't climb a tree like that and do what you do. You have to be a little different :)
and for the breakfast, I am a big eater but even I would say that was a breakfast for six :)
You know me, Timmy!:p

Yes, the breakfast was big....the funny part is, bill also bought steaks to do, but we ended up dropping the other tree and ran out of time to cook it (I had to be home by 3:00 or the wife would've killed me)......

Scott, job well done! In the glory days of logging here on the west coast, you would have definitely been the ::-) prima donna ::-) of the operation!
I really enjoy the climbing/felling aspect of the job......and I can tell you first hand from doing some of it, that those boys earned their grits at the end of the day......

Logging has to be one of the hardest jobs on the planet.....

One of the reasons I love your pics, Allan.....keep 'em coming! I'd love to visit your neck of the woods someday....

Great post Scott. Good to see a guy teaching kids real living skills. Skills you can't find behind an xbox. Those kids may not know it now but, you'll always be a great memory for them because you are teaching them things they can really use to improve their lives and feel more empowered. Good job buddy!

Great post Scott. Good to see a guy teaching kids real living skills. Skills you can't find behind an xbox. Those kids may not know it now but, you'll always be a great memory for them because you are teaching them things they can really use to improve their lives and feel more empowered. Good job buddy!
Thanks MF......we do firewood hoarding up there with the kids in the fall and winter, too.....they're all doomed to be firewood hoarders someday!

Thanks MF......we do firewood hoarding up there with the kids in the fall and winter, too.....they're all doomed to be firewood hoarders someday!

Well Scott, I think I've figured out hoarding is an airborne dIsease. Fresh airborne that is. It is usually contracted while standing in the timber breathing deeply right after a clean rain storm. So I'm no doctor, but yes, I think your scouts have it. Congratulate them for me.

We have a great group of kids and parents in our local scout troop......just all around enjoy being around one another. Back over last fall, we noticed a big hollow tree just beside the camp's outdoor firepit that was threatening, and there was a big sugar maple just behind it that had some pretty bad damage to the trunk as well. This morning me and one of the other dads who is a great friend of mine went up and took those two trees down.....

I thought the one was possibly a cottonwood tree, the limbs and branches were up too high to be sure. Turns out it was a black gum. Tree was around 65-70' tall, with a leaning top that was threatening the cabin.

View attachment 108720 View attachment 108722 View attachment 108723

Started out bright and early, took some pics when we got there. Bill (my buddy) brought up a dump trailer full of clean slate to fill in a bad low spot in the camp road. He tailgated that load off and then I got the tree topped....I climbed up around 40' and topped that tree, it was hollow clear up there too!

View attachment 108724 View attachment 108725

We had a nice hearty breakfast after I got the top on the ground...some bacon, ham cubes, sausage links and patties, and even some farm fresh eggs from Bill's chicken coop. Great eats!

View attachment 108726 View attachment 108727 View attachment 108728

more pics on the next post....

Wow...sounds like the perfect morning topped off with a campfire breakfast.

So were you using ropes to lower branches down or just letting them fall as you made your way down? How did you know that tree could support your weight when you were climbing with it being hollow inside?

So were you using ropes to lower branches down or just letting them fall as you made your way down? How did you know that tree could support your weight when you were climbing with it being hollow inside?
This particular job I was just dropping the top....nothing directly below the tree to get in the way. As for climbing a hollow tree, I guess it just takes experience. You have to know what to look for. In this instance, I knew the tree was sturdy enough to support my measly 205lb frame, as it had a several thousand pound top leaning far out over it, with no cracks or faults anywhere on the tree. It was still very much alive and well on the outside. Now, don't ever take this as the gospel, because each and every tree you do has a different set of circumstances that you have to consider.....this one I deemed safe enough to climb.

This particular job I was just dropping the top....nothing directly below the tree to get in the way. As for climbing a hollow tree, I guess it just takes experience. You have to know what to look for. In this instance, I knew the tree was sturdy enough to support my measly 205lb frame, as it had a several thousand pound top leaning far out over it, with no cracks or faults anywhere on the tree. It was still very much alive and well on the outside. Now, don't ever take this as the gospel, because each and every tree you do has a different set of circumstances that you have to consider.....this one I deemed safe enough to climb.

Were you rigged to a different tree that you could escape to? Is that something people do?

Great pics.

Hell, I can't even climb a ladder! My wife would call the kids and get me in all kinds of trouble. I have a lot of resect for those who take these jobs that require a lot of skill, and then ask for so little in return.

Reactions: Trooper
A good deed done well, Scott. Takes a lot to climb a hollow tree like that. Glad you stayed safe.

Short n sweet,Beer sausage , trees crashing to the ground, gotta love it :cool::cool:

Great pictures.
Looks like a fun time was had by all.

Some here use hollow cottonwood rounds for flower pots/planters.

Status
Not open for further replies.