Some wonderings about heavy rain with a metal chimney...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstellfox

Jul 15, 2010
PA
I have an out the wall and up metal chimney setup. I just have a cap on the bottom of my tee outside the house for a cleanout. Now I didn't check it this morning, but we of course got the heavy rains and very strong winds with blowing rain last night that everyone here seems to be talking about. How much of that water can I expect to get in my stainless steel chimney? I have a basic raincap that came with the supervent kit. I would assume with blowing rain like that a fair amount could find its way in, around or through the cap and pour down your chimney. Does anyone here have a problem with that? Do I need to check my tee cleanout to possibly let rain water out of my chimney? Maybe my wonderings are just due to over thinking or worrying too much, but what do you guys think?

If you had a fire going during the rain it whatever (if any) rain that got past the cap probably evaporated.

I have the same setup as you and have never had a rain issue, fire going or otherwise.

We have the same setup as you do. We just don't even worry about it. All is well.

No worries . . . I have yet to find any rain coming into the stove or chimney with a similar set up to you . . . even in middle of the summer this is not an issue and when the stove is cooking any moisture from rain or snow will be vaporized before it ever reaches the stove or bottom of the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.