Somerset vs. Eco-Flame and my PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DawgOnKing

Hearth Supporter
Jan 7, 2010
NE Ohio
I figured I would post briefly about my experience with both pellets. I really enjoy reading similar posts - I don't think there can be too many.

Had my PDVC for approx a month and burned only Somerset and Eco-Flame. First 25 bags were Somerset only and I absolutely love them. They burn very hot as reported and leave a fraction of the ash that I've been getting while burning Eco's the past 7 days (10 bags). On a setting of "2" I got an exhaust temp of 238F with Somersets and 214F with the Eco's. It's an obvious difference when you walk in the room. My wife and I both noticed this right away.

The biggest difference and complaint is the ash. Not only do Eco's leave a noticeably larger amount of ash, but the ash itself is very light and very difficult to sweep while the stove door is open. The OAK alone will send ash flying everywhere when I remove the burn plate to empty. While not a big deal to some, I can't stand the mess - it takes me double the time to clean out the stove. I sweep it out every day and could clean up after the Somersets in 10 minutes flat.

The Somersets produce a clinker which actually makes for much easier clean up while the Eco's leave 100% fine ash in the plate which accounts for a lot of the extra mess. While I was initially concerned about the Somerset clinker, I've now come to miss it during daily cleanings.

Anyway, figured I would share while I had a spare moment. Hope this helps someone. My local Lowe's has Eco's for $4.50 (and I have 10% coupon) but I'm back to TSC to pay $5 for Somersets to wrap up the season. It's worth it for me personally.

nothing good comes from Lowes or HD pellets, unless you consider high ash / clinkers good...

I've burned Somerset, and like them alot also. Haven't been seeing them here this season.
Surprised there aren't more posts on them, I have had good experience with them.
Stay warm !

UncleAnthony said:
I've burned Somerset, and like them alot also. Haven't been seeing them here this season.
Surprised there aren't more posts on them, I have had good experience with them.
Stay warm !

Yeah, I've had a great experience with them. Hoping for a sale at my TSC in the future. Will get 2 tons for next year.

Update on the Eco's - I may have to buy a ton for next year. While they don't put out the heat of Somersets, they burn substantially longer. I had an approx burn rate of 10 bags/week with Somersets - and have been burning 10 bags of Eco's since last Saturday morning, and still have a bag in the garage. I'm down around 7 bags/week with Eco's which is pretty impressive. I've also gotten better with cleaning time by fulling cleaning ash plate prior to removal. At $4.05/bag I'm thinking Eco's are great for warmer temp months here in Ohio. They've been great this week, we've had temps in the 30's.

DawgOnKing said:
UncleAnthony said:
Stay warm !

Yeah, I've had a great experience with them. Hoping for a sale at my TSC in the future. Will get 2 tons for next year.

Same here, first year burning them and I have had no problems... My Tractor Supply still has plenty left but are way too high on the price!!!

THE ROOSTER said:
DawgOnKing said:
UncleAnthony said:
Stay warm !

Same here, first year burning them and I have had no problems... My Tractor Supply still has plenty left but are way too high on the price!!!

Price on Somerset last year was same as other pellets around here. Surprised prices haven't come down that much,
about $30/ton, from $270 to $240.

Status
Not open for further replies.