somersets............... disappointed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironpony

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2010
mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
well as most of you know I picked up a trailer load of Somersets last year
burned a little over 4 ton last year
'finished up the open pallet except about 10 bags
started a new pallet and wow tons of ash
have burned 4 bags now and it has gotten progressively worse
I am figuring it took a few bags to clear out the hopper to all the new pallet
I am going to try to let it run low and use the remaining bags from the open pallet and see if it helps
hope i don't have 18 tons of these ashy ones
flame and heat output appears the same

I have been burning only Somersets for 5 years now and love them. They burn great in my Harman and St Croix

Lets hope its just that ton, Having so many more tons to burn and thoughts of the whole load being bad would be scary! I have heard some complain of some higher ash than usual, But that seemed to die down and haven't heard much this season. Many other brands had issues too. Hamer, Barefoots and Okies got clinker complaints last season. Cubex had some grumbling too.

Keep us posted, Hope its just this tone and the rest is good!

I have about 3 tons and I am seeing a lot more ash than I did last year. The heat is still fantastic and the glass just gets a small light gray patch on it, so I am still thrilled with them even with the ash.

Sorry to hear of this, as I was planning to use Somersets as my main stash for next season. I'm burning Hamers now, with good heat, low ash BUT tons of fines. :-S Guess there's no perfect scenario even with paying for premium pellets.

Starting this year, I am pretty sure all I am gonna buy is Somersets. Small pellet with great heat. Also can be had very cheap from Menards a few times each season (cheapest price around).

Unless we get a better pellet in my area. But these are Ohio's Barefoot, Turman, and Okies........ I have tested and tried everything. The next best 3 pellets are Pro Pellet, Presto-Logs, and AWF's. With Presto-logs and Pro Pellets about tied. Presto's would win because of cost and cost alone. IMHO.

Very limited in variety here. I have emailed Hamers twice and left voicemails with Turmans. Both plants are very close (kinda). But have gotten ZERO response from both. A little disappointing.

I have burned Somerset for the last few years & I have noticed also more ash this year. They still do throw off the good heat though. I bought 2 tons of them from lowes in October to go with the 1 ton of 2 year old Hamer's hot ones to heat the season. Other then a few bags of different brands that I was sampling early in the season, I have burnt about 30 bags of Somersert so far. One other thing I have been noticing so far this year since burning Somerset is, I have been seeing more carbon build up on burn pot & end of auger this year. I just thought it was because of burning on low so much since it has been unseasonable warm so far. I do know it does get better on the nights that I have cranked it up higher, but still seems like alot more carbon build up. So, last night I thru a bag of Hamer's in. MAN, they are even hotter. Still running on low, the same setting as burning the Somerset, this evening when I clean it, the carbon, there was none & the ash was even less. Now I know the Somerset are also producing more carbon build up. I won't say I will never buy these pellets again, because they do throw the heat also, but I won't buy 2 tons of them again next year. I will only buy 1 ton because they do throw nice heat, till I can see when the carbon is better.

Love my Somerset pellets, best pellets I have ever burned, Low ash, low fines with high heat output, actually believe they made them better this year for 2011. In 2010 and 2009 had the low fuel trim set on the high side burning at a rate of 1.5 lbs per hour and this year have it set on the lowest rate which is .9 lbs per hour. Also had to increase the fresh air intake. Try adjusting your feed rate lower and give it more air. See if that works, took me about five bags to figure it out.

If I were you Ironpony...I would have a liquidation sale on your remaining pellet stash!! I think $50.00 a ton would be a fair price for such crappy pellets!!

Waiting for directions to the motherload!!

Sorry, they're not doing you right, Hope it i just one bad pallet!!

ironpony said:
me to, thats why I bought the trailer load

Ironpony, Do you want to sell any of these pelllets? I am near Urbana OH. If so how much per ton? I have not had any problems this year?

sorry guys none for sale, got them to cheap
hopefully it is only this pallett
have burned probably 10 tons of Somersets and this is the only ones ashy
think I might open another pallet and burn some to see what happens

DexterDay said:
Starting this year, I am pretty sure all I am gonna buy is Somersets. Small pellet with great heat. Also can be had very cheap from Menards a few times each season (cheapest price around).

Unless we get a better pellet in my area. But these are Ohio's Barefoot, Turman, and Okies........ I have tested and tried everything. The next best 3 pellets are Pro Pellet, Presto-Logs, and AWF's. With Presto-logs and Pro Pellets about tied. Presto's would win because of cost and cost alone. IMHO.

Very limited in variety here. I have emailed Hamers twice and left voicemails with Turmans. Both plants are very close (kinda). But have gotten ZERO response from both. A little disappointing.

dexter, have you tried hardwood heat from TSC
I forget who, but they are rebagged from another company
and burn really hot and little ash
I have burned them

Eatonpcat said:
If I were you Ironpony...I would have a liquidation sale on your remaining pellet stash!! I think $50.00 a ton would be a fair price for such crappy pellets!!

hmmm............. 50 a ton???
only if you let me deliver them

ironpony said:
DexterDay said:

I have burned them

Hardwood heat is Hammer Hot One's rebagged.

oldmountvernon said:
ironpony said:
DexterDay said:

I have burned them

i have hardwood heat rebagged Hamers i lovem way less ash and hot. IF i can catch them on sale under 200.00 watch out i may catch up to your stash !

with the sale prices around here I might pick some up also
the trailer load, as you know, wasnt the best deal

ironpony said:
DexterDay said:

I have burned them

Like I said above, I have emailed Hamers and gotten no response. I would love to try the Hardwood heat (Hamers). Where abouts are you in Ohio and what TSC has them (what town?)??

Thanks for any help. Somersets and Hamers are a good combo. Just need to locate the Hamers (Hardwood Heats).

Lancaster, Ohio always seem to have them
last time I seen them on sale 169 a ton

oldmountvernon said:
DexterDay said:
ironpony said:
DexterDay said:

I have burned them

Like I said above, I have emailed Hamers and gotten no response. I would love to try the Hardwood heat (Hamers). Where abouts are you in Ohio and what TSC has them (what town?)??

Thanks for any help. Somersets and Hamers are a good combo. Just need to locate the Hamers (Hardwood Heats).

pm me what you need to know dex i will copy paste it to Hamers i get a pretty fast response from them

Just want to know where there closest dealer or retailer (TSC) is to Cleveland Ohio. I live about 45 min Southwest of Clevelend. But figure its easier for them to use a Big city as a reference.

Just looking for the closest outlet to purcahse some. I have sent 2 emails (on there website under dealer locator and contact us). No response.
Thanks for the help.

ironpony said:
Eatonpcat said:

hmmm............. 50 a ton???
only if you let me deliver them

Deal!!! ;-)

its been so warm here
have not bothered opening another pallet yet
will keep everyone posted

titanracer said:
I have burned Somerset for the last few years & I have noticed also more ash this year. They still do throw off the good heat though. I bought 2 tons of them from lowes in October to go with the 1 ton of 2 year old Hamer's hot ones to heat the season. Other then a few bags of different brands that I was sampling early in the season, I have burnt about 30 bags of Somersert so far. One other thing I have been noticing so far this year since burning Somerset is, I have been seeing more carbon build up on burn pot & end of auger this year. I just thought it was because of burning on low so much since it has been unseasonable warm so far. I do know it does get better on the nights that I have cranked it up higher, but still seems like alot more carbon build up. So, last night I thru a bag of Hamer's in. MAN, they are even hotter. Still running on low, the same setting as burning the Somerset, this evening when I clean it, the carbon, there was none & the ash was even less. Now I know the Somerset are also producing more carbon build up. I won't say I will never buy these pellets again, because they do throw the heat also, but I won't buy 2 tons of them again next year. I will only buy 1 ton because they do throw nice heat, till I can see when the carbon is better.

As you can read from my previous post, I was having a major carbon build up & narrowed it down to my Somerset pellets. See I clean my pellets before I burn them. I clean roughly 20 bags at a time & fill them into 33 gallon rubber maid containers after cleaned. Yesterday I was cleaning pellets again to fill all 5 tubs. I had 15 bags left from 1st ton. That roughly filled 4 of 5 containers. The 5th container was filled from pellets from my 2nd ton of Somerset. That was the tub I used from yesterday to fill my stove. I actually burned pellets last night from 2nd ton. I cleaned it today & there was next to NO CARBON build up on burnpot or end of auger. Things cleanup real easy today. I guess I just got a not so good ton of Somerset. I could tell when I opened the unit to clean today, even the ash content was better then the pellets from 1st ton. To make a short conclusion here, you can get good or bad batches of pellets from the same brand. I will be burning up those 4 containers left from the 1st ton 1st, can't wait to start burning pellets from 2nd ton. They burned so good.

Bought 2 tons of 'set's last spring from lowes for $177, i tried a bag few weeks ago and seemed it didnt put out much more heat than the Chow i have.

About the low prices in Ohio, appears Ohio right now is not a happy place to live, read there just bulldozing down foreclosures because of the high rate of vandalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.