Sometimes Mother Nature can be your friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
I just got home and was looking out the window to see my dog in his fenced area - wondering why he prefers to be outside in the rain and high winds when... Bang, snap, crash!! This big ash came down -with me watching and right where I would have wanted to drop it in may back yard. How fortuitious? Ironically I have had two of these ash trees come down by wind with me just looking out the widow. Really cool but kind of scary. For the record, I have eliminated any that have even a slight chance of landing on anything of value and stay away from them on windy days. My plan is to have them all(About 10 more) CSSing by spring. Base on this one is at least 20" and has been standing dead for two+ years so these will all be seasoned for next years burning.

Attachments

• Tree Down.jpg
    Tree Down.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 280
Good job MN.
Are the ash trees dead standing, just old & dying or some disease ?
Looks a bit wet where the top is.
So we'll see CSS pictures tomorrow ? :)

Bob, I fear we will have plenty of them falling in the woods as ours have been dead longer than 2 years. We're working at getting the biggest ones down though.

That ash should make very nice heat for you maybe you should try staring at them to see if they will cut themselves up too lol

Pete

Bob, do your trees have the emerald ash borer? Kinda odd if there's more than a couple dead. That bug , over the next several years, is going to cause some catastrophic damage to the woods. At any rate, ash is a great all-around wood. I have several cord on hand. Good thing you weren't back there when it came down!

Scotty we Michiganders went through ash borer he!! Most of the ash in our area was all but inialated by the borer. This is very sad as the trees are so beautiful.

Pete

Unfortunately, yes, it is some sort of disease. I bought the place about 5 years ago and they were all living. Every sping leaf out had declined until nothing about two years ago. My friend owns a golf course here in town that has a bunch of them for us to remove if we ever get enough cold weather to freeze the ground(strage winter) Can't take the quads and trailers out on the fairways until the ground is real solid. Where the top is laying is just a low spot so when it rains or snow melts it fills up. No more than 6" of water there. I am just on about 100% clay so it takes water forever to perk through. I will have it bucked this weekend and CSSed as soon as I get my buddies 35ton over here. Until then it will just go on "Rounds Mountain" I have been accumulating. I was planning to let some of the dead ash just keep standing and drying in the breeze because it is in my back yard I wanted to spend my time on some of the many other opportunities I have for wood. I am now thinking it needs to all come down for safety reasons and just live its final years stacked.

Here is the best pics for perspective. The tree that fell is the bent bigun' to the right of this photo.
Cooker2.jpg

This one shows the bridge over the creek I built to get to the wood and deer on the other side with my Griz. You can just see the house in the background
Bridge3.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

BobUrban said:
I just got home and was looking out the window to see my dog in his fenced area - wondering why he prefers to be outside in the rain and high winds when... Bang, snap, crash!! This big ash came down -with me watching and right where I would have wanted to drop it in may back yard. How fortuitious? Ironically I have had two of these ash trees come down by wind with me just looking out the widow. Really cool but kind of scary. For the record, I have eliminated any that have even a slight chance of landing on anything of value and stay away from them on windy days. My plan is to have them all(About 10 more) CSSing by spring. Base on this one is at least 20" and has been standing dead for two+ years so these will all be seasoned for next years burning.

Mother Nature can be nice at times, but if you keep lookng out the WIDOW your wife will get even! :vampire:

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.