Son of A Beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
After clearing two pine blocking the trail I decided to get this beech before we get another snow fall, I limbed it up on the side of the hill then cut the bigger beech in two sections then winched them down and bucked them up.

I still have some smaller stuff I need to get, attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2134.jpg
    100_2134.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_2135.jpg
    100_2135.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 282
  • 100_2136.jpg
    100_2136.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_2137.jpg
    100_2137.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 100_2138.jpg
    100_2138.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 265
Zap, you are having entirely too much fun! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Zap, you are having entirely too much fun! Cheers!

It was a nice day with the temp at 21 degrees, the hill was tough but winching the bigger stuff down made it much easier.

zap

Nothing like cutting/splitting wood to warm up the day.

Sure wish I had some of that beech Zap. On the other hand, I was talking to a neighbor today and he told me all the beech in northern MI was dieing because of some bug. Danged bugs.

bboulier I did the cutting but not the splitting, ran into problems with the splitter so if I have to I'll get the maul out or call QUADS!

Edit:10:15 pm / Looks like the maul will stay in back of the Rhino on Sunday, did something to my left hand which feels like I pulled something.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Sure wish I had some of that beech Zap. On the other hand, I was talking to a neighbor today and he told me all the beech in northern MI was dieing because of some bug. Danged bugs.

Beech Bark Disease... it is caused by a fungus that girdles the tree. A bug (that I think is native) pierces the bark and sucks on the sap. Unfortunately the fungus which is not native either lives on the mouth or gets into the break and then starts killing the tree.

Matt

Backwoods Savage said:

Sunday is our day to push some wood in so with the cold weather coming in we will push in some three year old beech and maple along with that good ole cherry.

The wife is kicking ass on the stove, she never wanted one when we had the house built but she loves it now.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.