Soot between liner and chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokepole

Burning Hunk
Sep 28, 2019
Foothills N.C.
Had my chimney lined last summer. Tiles broken out and 6in. insulated liner installed. 19ft of flex
into tee, cap on bottom of tee. 10in snout through thimble into great room. Checked on liner
through thimble in upstairs bedroom. There is light coating of soot on brick next to liner.
called installer he said that is normal from burnoff of liner, tape, insulation ect.
What do the experts think
Thanks.

Had my chimney lined last summer. Tiles broken out and 6in. insulated liner installed. 19ft of flex
into tee, cap on bottom of tee. 10in snout through thimble into great room. Checked on liner
through thimble in upstairs bedroom. There is light coating of soot on brick next to liner.
called installer he said that is normal from burnoff of liner, tape, insulation ect.
What do the experts think
Thanks.
First off that thimble upstairs needs to be bricked closed. A light discoloration of the brick probably is no problem at all. It very well could have been from stuff leaking through the joints or cracks of your old liner

Thanks for the reply bholler.
I was here when they did the install. The bricks looked like new. After the liner was removed.
I left the thimble just so I could keep an eye on things . It is blocked off with 6in of insulation
6in. cap and double bagged with plastic bags secured with heavy rubber bands.
Thanks

Thanks for the reply bholler.
I was here when they did the install. The bricks looked like new. After the liner was removed.
I left the thimble just so I could keep an eye on things . It is blocked off with 6in of insulation
6in. cap and double bagged with plastic bags secured with heavy rubber bands.
Thanks
Can you post a pic? And the crock needs to be blocked off with brick permenatly. The walls of the chimney need to be 4" of solid masonry.

Sorry, I dont know how to post pictures yet. I am new at this. If you rub your fingers across the
bricks they come out pretty dark.

Sorry, I dont know how to post pictures yet. I am new at this. If you rub your fingers across the
bricks they come out pretty dark.
Without pics I can't give much input sorry

I understand thanks anyway.