Soot Destroyer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homefront

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Pa
Coughlin Products Inc. makes a product called Chimney Sweep Soot Destroyer.
Claims to be a "fireplace and woodstove flue cleaner".
These chrystals contain sodium chloride and copper sulphate, and they make very pretty blue-green flames.
I anyone familiar with this product, and if so, do you recommend it?

Thanks!

Though I am not familiar with this particular product, please bear in mind that most (if not all) of these chemical applications are really designed to turn glaze type creosote into something that is more easily brushable with a proper, thorough mechanical sweeping. Though these products may have their place, there is no substitute for a proper manual cleaning. Safe burning!

Pagey said:
Though I am not familiar with this particular product, please bear in mind that most (if not all) of these chemical applications are really designed to turn glaze type creosote into something that is more easily brushable with a proper, thorough mechanical sweeping. Though these products may have their place, there is no substitute for a proper manual cleaning. Safe burning!

+1 . . . can't hurt things . . . but no replacement for sweeping the chimney.

The only true "Magic in a Bottle" elixir that I've seen come on the market comes in little blue pill form ;) :) . . . other products that claim to be a cure-all, fix-all in a bottle often fall short of their promises when stacked up to the tried and true methods.

Best destroyer of creosote I've ever seen is 3-4 year old wood that is super dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.