soot eater 101

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it cause I like the idea of using plastic line as opposed to a wire brush on .005" thick liner.

mhrischuk said:
I got it cause I like the idea of using plastic line as opposed to a wire brush on .005" thick liner.
Wow! I also have a liner and never realized the wall thickness could be only 5 thousands thick! I don't blame you there.

heard nothing but good things about the sooteater. do you guys think it does better than a normal poly brush?

Ran my soot eater today and it was super easy. No more going up on the roof for me.

How long do you let your chimney/stove cool before cleaning. I usually do it in the morning when I don't load the stove for an overnight burn. I'm concerned because the head is almost all plastic.

Its been pretty warm here for a couple of days so no fire during that time. Chimney was cold. If it was me I'd wait for a window where you could run it on a cooler/cold chimney.

I hadnt cleaned ours in over a year and we got about 3-4 cups of brown powder. And some nice piece if mind.

I never used the sooteater before with our present stove setup.....I was concerned that the rods could'nt bend to fit thru the front of the isle royale and up the stack but no probs. I would definetly reccomend if you want to go thru your stove/insert take the time to layout dropcloths, have your vac running and seal off the door with plastic. Once you start the process it can make lots of dust-especially with a cold chimney thats downdrafting. The instructions that come with the kit are very clear.

I'm kinda fortunate that I can put the vac outside a nearby window and run a hose that reachs the stove-again just erring on the side of caution with all that fine dust. (Happy wife is a happy life!) I dont have a furnace vac just a shopvac.

Status
Not open for further replies.