Soot flakes around chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
C4483658-3497-4C5D-A968-CD04B08974DC.jpeg 865B074C-D6DF-4B6E-AC08-662AEFCA2BFD.jpeg 16768CEF-054E-4646-88DB-ADF5C44BF4AD.jpeg from my window I noticed a small bit of creosote bits that were on the roof around chimney. I went up to check it out. The bits of creosote were in the form of dark brown flakes and were easily reduced to a powder when touched( sane consistency as very dry soot. I looked down my ss liner while up there and the amount and consistency of the buildup looked roughly similar to when I last looked a month or 2 ago. In the liner I have some crispy creosote on top few inches. This was easily wiped of with my finger down to bare liner. The rest of the length looks like dry soot. I’d guess 1/8 inch of soot. Definitely time to sooteater the liner very soon. I saw a recent post that was similar topic as this. I’m thinking this was likely not a chimney fire, but wanted to see what people thought of what I described and the pics.

Looks pretty normal to me

Reactions: Tar12
No worries there....I have encountered the same when cleaning...stay pro-active and you can sleep at night...