SootEater - what NOT to do.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MofoG23

Feeling the Heat
So I finally got around the cleaning my chimney today and of course I got to use my SootEater again. The pitch and height on my roof does not allow easy access so the SootEater is perfect.

Total length of my liner almost 25' and I have exactly 24' of SootEater sections. This year I decided to duct tape a short rod I had laying around to push the head into the cap...figured I'd knock it around a bit to see if anything came out of the cap. Well, when I went to pull it back down, the head got stuck and my "extension rod" came off leaving my SootEater with 24' of rods stuck in my liner!

Long story short, after damn near dislocating my shoulder reaching up into the liner with my head in the stove and 45 minutes later, I was able to grab the SootEater with my fireplace wood tools and yank it down.

Lesson learned and I'll be buying another set of extension rods!

I can identify with that sort of predicament. Not that I've managed that one, but I've done enough of those to stop and think, "What could go wrong here?" and actually reconsider some decisions . . .

snowleopard said:
I can identify with that sort of predicament. Not that I've managed that one, but I've done enough of those to stop and think, "What could go wrong here?" and actually reconsider some decisions . . .

And sometimes you just say "I do." anyway. :p

You could have started a duct-tape-soot-eater extenstion rod company.. If you could only get it to work somehow.

So...you mean there may be a real reason why the SootEater rods lock positively together with a snap-ball joint that ensures integrity in both rotation and extension/retraction? Who'd have thought that good old duct tape couldn't duplicate that performance? :roll:

Hey, somebody had to find the limitations of duct tape... I think the problem is he applied too little of it.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Hey, somebody had to find the limitations of duct tape... I think the problem is he applied too little of it.

Matt

Oh please, Matt, way too many people have already died trying to test the limits of duct tape. :ahhh:

When you encounter things in life that can't be solved with duct tape, then you need to add some zip-ties.

blacktail said:
When you encounter things in life that can't be solved with duct tape, then you need to add some zip-ties.
Ummm... the second most common go-to is JB-Weld.

I'm not worthy of your "Hold my beer and watch this prowess!"

129208363809026294.jpg

notworthy.jpg

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.